The State Of Wayland Support With KDE Frameworks 5, Plasma Next
Martin Gräßlin has written a new blog post about "KDE5" and Wayland.
The points for Phoronix readers from his blog post this morning include:
- Users are getting their hopes up about Wayland support and the initial "KDE5" release.
- The KDE Frameworks 5 support for Wayland with the first release will not be on par with the X.Org/X11 support but at least on par with KDE's Windows and OS X support.
- Applications using the KDE Frameworks 5 and not doing any X11 communication directly should seamlessly just work on Wayland.
- With Plasma Next soon to be in alpha, its initial release will likely not support Wayland in full. The first priority has been getting all of the tool-kit code ported to Qt5 and getting other items squared away.
- KWin isn't yet ready to serve as its own Wayland compositor. The KWin Wayland code is in an "experimental support stage."
- Martin concluded, "overall we can quite certainly say that the first release of Plasma Next will not support Wayland."
More comments can be found from Martin's blog.
Latest Articles & Reviews
Latest Linux News
Most Viewed News This Week