The State Of Wayland Support With KDE Frameworks 5, Plasma Next
Martin Gräßlin has written a new blog post about "KDE5" and Wayland.
The points for Phoronix readers from his blog post this morning include:
- Users are getting their hopes up about Wayland support and the initial "KDE5" release.
- The KDE Frameworks 5 support for Wayland with the first release will not be on par with the X.Org/X11 support but at least on par with KDE's Windows and OS X support.
- Applications using the KDE Frameworks 5 and not doing any X11 communication directly should seamlessly just work on Wayland.
- With Plasma Next soon to be in alpha, its initial release will likely not support Wayland in full. The first priority has been getting all of the tool-kit code ported to Qt5 and getting other items squared away.
- KWin isn't yet ready to serve as its own Wayland compositor. The KWin Wayland code is in an "experimental support stage."
- Martin concluded, "overall we can quite certainly say that the first release of Plasma Next will not support Wayland."
More comments can be found from Martin's blog.
Latest Linux Hardware Reviews
Latest Linux Articles
Latest Linux News
Latest Forum Discussions