Linus said last week when releasing Linux 3.14-rc8 that he anticipated to do the official release next. This week has been fairly calm on the Linux kernel mailing list and with Git activity, so it's widely anticipated that 3.14 will be out today or perhaps tomorrow... This week was also the 2014 Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit that made kernel development slow down a bit as well.
The Linux 3.14 kernel is codenamed the Shuffling Zombie Juror (contrary to some wanting the Linux 3.14 codename to deal with Pi) and is packing many exciting features. If you didn't yet read it, be sure to read about our top changes of the Linux 3.14 kernel.
We have also already done many benchmarks from the Linux 3.14 Git kernel, some of which tests include:
- An Intel / Radeon / Nouveau performance comparison with the latest open-source Linux graphics code.
- Linux 3.14 tests on Fedora 20.
- Btrfs tuning tests on Linux 3.14.
- Linux solid-state drive benchmarks comparing the new kernel.
- Hard drive benchmarks on the kernel and comparing multiple file-systems.
- An 11-way open-source graphics card comparison.
- Many other Linux 3.14 testing articles.
As soon as the Linux 3.14 kernel is released we already have our eyes on the Linux 3.15 kernel changes with already having one pull request waiting to be pulled.
What do you like best about Linux 3.14 or are looking forward to seeing in a future update? Let us know in the forums or on the various social networks. Also let us know if you have any new Linux benchmark requests!