- FFmpeg has been updated against the latest 2.2.1 upstream release.
- x264 has also been updated against its latest upstream code.
- John The Ripper is now running off version 1.8.0.
- Botan now uses the latest upstream release of 1.11.6.
- BLAKE2 is also now using the latest upstream code too.
- Last but not least, OpenSSL has been updated against its latest upstream release and a few other tweaks made.
Those updates are on top of the hundreds of other tests available for automated execution and setup via the open-source Phoronix Test Suite benchmarking platform. Some other newer tests worth mentioning are HPCG and HPCC + Open Porous Media.
With the fresh round of test profile updates for these Linux / open-source CPU/system tests, one could assume I am on the heels of some fresh benchmarking. That is true; however, if you were hoping for a launch-day article next week covering an important hardware launch, sadly those hopes were quashed on Friday thanks to the snow storm still delaying UPS/FedEx shipments in the Chicago area... I have some interesting hardware stuck from delivery but there will be some interesting Linux hardware reviews then later next week. This weekend though I'll run some fresh benchmarks on older CPUs though and will hopefully share those results on Sunday for those curious about the latest Intel/AMD Linux CPU performance with the very latest kernel and other software components.