Before the end of the month will be many new and exciting Linux benchmarks on Phoronix, including the Radeon Dynamic Power Management results in full, many updated Windows 8 vs. Ubuntu Linux tests, and Valve Source Engine Linux GPU benchmarks, among others.
For those not keeping up with all of the notes in recent Phoronix articles and my Twitter feed
, there's many exciting articles due out before the end of July:
- Coming out in just a few hours will be a large AMD and NVIDIA Linux graphics card comparison using the binary blobs and using all of the latest Phoronix Test Suite
test profiles. Complementing our longstanding OpenGL Linux tests are now the new GpuTest
, Unvanquished and its OpenGL 3 renderer
, and Valve's Team Fortress 2
Source Engine game.
- Last week I provided a preview of the Radeon Dynamic Power Management feature
that's new to the Linux 3.11 kernel. Coming up still are the complete tests from a range of AMD Radeon hardware. There's still been more pull requests for the Radeon DRM providing bug-fixes to the DPM code, so I have been holding off a bit and waiting for the initial fallout to be addressed.
- Last week I delivered Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu 13.10 Linux benchmarks
for Intel Ivy Bridge graphics. Coming up this week are finally Intel Haswell Windows vs. Linux results. Testing on an Intel Core i7 4770K with HD Graphics 4600, the Windows 8 Pro x64 OS performance is being compared to Ubuntu 13.10 with all of the latest Git code, including the Linux 3.11 kernel and Mesa 9.2-devel.
- New NVIDIA GeForce benchmarks on Windows 8 Pro vs. Linux when using the proprietary Linux graphics driver as well as the open-source Nouveau stack with Linux 3.11 and Mesa 9.2-devel Nouveau Gallium3D. The hardware being looked at for this testing is a GeForce GTX 680, GeForce GTX 460, and the aging GeForce 9800GTX for some historical perspective.
- New AMD Radeon benchmarks on Windows 8 Pro vs. Linux when using the proprietary Catalyst Linux graphics driver as well as the open-source Radeon stack with Linux 3.11 and Mesa 9.2-devel R600/RadeonSI Gallium3D. The hardware being looked at for this testing is likely the Radeon HD 7850, HD 6950, and HD 6770.
- An ECS Z87 Haswell motherboard review is due out soon.
- Other Linux 3.11 kernel benchmarks.
- Possible new/updated Amazon EC2 cloud Linux benchmarks.
Feedback on these upcoming articles or other requests can be made by posting in the forums
or letting me know on Twitter
If you appreciate this frequent in-depth Linux content at a time when other Linux sites have shut down
, please consider subscribing to Phoronix Premium
or making a PayPal contribution
. Nearly all of these articles plus news items on Phoronix are tirelessly written day in and day out by your's truly. Phoronix.com relies on advertisements, premium subscriptions, and PayPal/Flattr tips for the continued operation of this leading Linux/open-source hardware content site.