At just past midnight (0:00 EST, 23 July), the Ubuntu Edge next-generation smart-phone / personal PC is now at more than $3.1 million dollars. Here's some other key figures as of publishing:
- 705 have claimed the $20 "founder" level. This lowest level perk simply gets you acknowledges as a founder of the Ubuntu Edge project.
- For the first day of this Ubuntu Edge campaign on IndieGoGo, those putting forth at least $600 will get one of the proposed smartphones. This is the one-day special for the phone and of the 5,000 available phones there's been 5,040 claims.
- The regular price for the Ubuntu Edge smartphone during the rest of the campaign is $830 and there's been 63 claimed.
- If pledging at least $10,000, you will get one of the first 50 numbered Ubuntu Edge smartphones plus a "VIP invite" from Mark Shuttleworth to the Ubuntu Edge unveiling event and some other perks. So far two people have pledged $10,000 or more.
- There's an offer to pledge at least $80,000 for getting a bundle of 100 Ubuntu Edge phones plus 30 days of online support, but so far no one has claimed this top tier perk.
Pulling in three million dollars in the project's crowd-funding campaign is impressive, but it will be hard to keep up the pace. Most of the media coverage on Ubuntu Edge will die down in the next day or two, plus the $600 offer on the Edge has also expired. Obviously we wish Ubuntu Edge the greatest success and we'll keep monitoring the project along the way. Find out more details on this crowdfunding campaign here and via the YouTube video below.