PTS 4.8 M3: Frame Latency Tests, GPU Identification, Etc
The third development release of Phoronix Test Suite 4.8-Sokndal is now available for open-source automated benchmarking. This update has the OpenGL frame latency recording ability, detection support for the AMD/NVIDIA AIB vendors, and other changes.
Likely the most prominent feature of Sokndal Milestone 3 is the OpenGL frame latency / jitter testing, which was covered on Phoronix yesterday and already in use within the new Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu Linux benchmarks. With the updated Phoronix Test Suite, you can simply run phoronix-test-suite benchmark unvanquished urbanterror as an example to see the new support.
Another worthwhile addition found in Phoronix Test Suite 4.8 Milestone 3 is GPU AIB vendor detection. To complement the existing GPU reporting abilities -- aside from mentioning AMD Radeon / NVIDIA GeForce and all of its attributes like VRAM capacities and clock frequencies -- Phoronix Test Suite 4.8 will now attempt reporting the add-in-board partner for AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards. In today's release it should be able to detect if the graphics card comes from Sapphire, MSI, XFX, ASUS, or Gigabyte.
There's also other smaller features and enhancements in Phoronix Test Suite 4.8 Milestone 3, which comes two weeks after the second milestone development release. Earlier development releases have added support for min / max FPS reporting, Apple OS X improvements, and other new features.
The official release of Phoronix Test Suite 4.8 should arrive in August. The Phoronix Test Suite is available as a GPLv3 open-source download at Phoronix-Test-Suite.com. Commercial support services, custom engineering, OpenBenchmarking.org / Phoromatic licensing, and other business dealings can be made by contacting us.
Phoronix Test Suite 4.8 Milestone 3
19 July 2013
- pts-core: Add few more cases of error detection on failed test install
- pts-core: Round download size totals in the concise display mode for large files
- pts-core: Add missing PreInstallMessage and PostInstallMessage to the OpenBenchmarking.org test profile schema and writer
- pts-core: Allow test results to have "secondary_linked_results"
- pts-core: Add initial support for frame latency / jitter secondary result graphs
- pts_Graph: Assume any version of Google Chrome/Chromium can render SVG
- pts_Graph: Only prepend 'v' to version string on graphs if first character is numeric
- toggle-screensaver: Support doing "xscreensaver-command -exit" when needed
- phodevi: Add more stock fallback display modes
- phodevi: Ensure MB/GB are reported on OS X memory strings
- phodevi: Workaround Linux 3.10 kernel reporting bogus frequencies for scaling_max_freq on some Intel CPUs
- phodevi: Support prepending the graphics card / AIB vendor on GPU strings
Latest Linux Hardware Reviews
Latest Linux Articles
Latest Linux News
Latest Forum Discussions