Ian shared the planned changes on the Mesa developers' list. The key information for Phoronix readers include:
- Mesa 9.2 is anticipated for release by the end of August (ideally, 22 August) so the 9.2 branch will be branched around the middle of July.
- There was no information talked about with renaming Mesa 9.2 to Mesa 10.0 with regards to reaching OpenGL 3.2/3.3 compliance.
- New Mesa stable point releases might come every two weeks now rather than monthly.
- Major Mesa releases are now anticipated for every three months rather than every six months. With the great rate of performance/feature improvements and other changes often sitting long in Git master for a number of months, Ian wants to update Mesa 3D drivers on a quarterly basis to ship code faster. (Of course, it's still up to the distributions whether to pull in major new Mesa releases midstream in a release...)
- Assuming the three month release process is a go, Mesa 9.3 will be released in mid-November.