The KDE Software Compilation 4.12 release is tentatively planned to happen on 18 December while the feature freeze at the end of October and is followed by three betas and release candidate. Among the KDE 4.12 features that users will be able to look forward to include:
- GPG back-end support to the KWallet Daemon (kwalletd).
- A Python back-end to Cantor, a KDE mathematics software application.
- KDE's PIM has mbox file import capabilities.
- KDE Akonadi now has server-side notification filtering.
- KNetWalk as a simple computer network construction game in KDE Games has now been ported to Qt's QML.
- KWalletManager now requires user passwords when saving configuration changes.
- Continued system memory usage improvements.
Some of the proposed KDE SC 4.12 work still to be accomplished include a native Akondadi resource for GMail, Akonadi server-side change recording, activity support and grammar checking in KMail, and porting Marble to Plasma Active and Android. While there's still a lot invested into KDE SC 4.12, don't expect anymore KDE4 Workspaces feature work.
More details on KDE 4.12 activities can be found via their feature plan and there's also the official release schedule.