Facebook's engineers responsible for developing HHVM
, a high performance version of PHP
, are preparing for a new release of this virtual machine to happen next month. This new release has even faster performance while delivering greater functionality.
A lot of interesting work has been going into the HipHop Virtual Machine since its 2.1 release earlier in the summer. According to its Git NEWS page
, the next release is planned for next month (possibly the 2nd of September) and there's been lots of changes procuring:
- Implementatations of stream_is_local, asserts with string arguments, PHAR read support, RecursiveArrayIterator, php_strip_whitespace(), and get_included_files().
- Limited use of huge pages.
- Timeouts in the CLI mode.
- A Redis session handler.
- A new hhprof memory profiler that is compatible with the pprof output.
- HHBC is enabled by default in debug builds.
- An initial implementation of xhpast2 to replace xhpast.
- Mac OS X compilation support.
- Better JIT code generation.
- Redix extension support.
- PHP 5.4's SessionHandler is now supported.
Look for this high-performance PHP implementation to be out in September.