This first and only release candidate is the final stepping stone prior to the official GNOME 3.8.0 release that's set to happen next week Wednesday. It's been six months of development for version 3.8 and it's now time to get it out the door.
For those not yet familiar with the features of the desktop in GNOME 3.8, they have already been covered in detail on Phoronix within:
- The First GNOME 3.8 Development Release
- GNOME 3.8 Is Dropping Its Fallback Mode
- Features Coming In For The GNOME 3.8 Desktop
- GNOME 3.x Will Bring Back Some GNOME 2 Features
- Power Management To See Changes In GNOME 3.8
- GNOME 3.8 Is Moving Along On Its New Features
The developer-focused GNOME 3.8 release candidate announcement can be found on the GNOME mailing list. Look for GNOME 3.8 to meet the world next week!