The systemd 198 release announcement can be read in full on the project's mailing list while embedded below are some of the highlights for new features. This is the first update to systemd since the 197 release in January.
- Unit files can now be extended via drop-in configuration files in a specialized directory rather than needing to edit/override the files themselves.
- New sub-commands for systemctl.
- Resource limits can now be controlled dynamically at run-time for all units.
- SSL support for systemd-journal-gatewayd.
- Nspawn improvements.
- A new generator to automatically mount the EFI System Partition to /boot.
- A new bootctl tool for handling certain boot-loader options.
- systemd-analyze has been re-written in C.
- A new kernel-install tool for installing Linux kernels per the FreeDesktop.org Boot Loader Specification.