On Wednesday during the online Ubuntu Developer Summit, the Ubuntu user-interface converged for all form factors was one of the focuses for the hour-long session.
Among the takeaways from the session for general users are:
- By Ubuntu 13.05, which would mean availability in May, they hope to have the next-generation Unity tested and running on Mir. As part of this, likely all of the core user-interface will be running via QML.
- Already written in QML is the Unity launcher, HUD, Dash, and Unity Panel.
- Among the TODO items is adding in/back support for theming, orientation support (dynamic portrait/landscape handling), internationalization support, and testing. Porting to QML for doing in the future also includes the switcher and spread components.
- Having the desktop form-factory ready for Unity Next isn't part of the plans until the Phone/Tablet Unity is ready. The estimate is the desktop version of the new Unity will be ready around October. The clear focus by Canonical right now is on the phone/tablet interface.
- Daily packages of Unity Next are still being planned.