Canonical's Kevin Gunn shared a status update for the advancements made by their team this week on the Mir Display Server and next-generation Unity 8 interface.
Some key takeaways from the weekly status update
concerning Mir and Unity 8 were:
- Unity 8 began running on Mir
- Window management functionality was broken out into a separate layer from the Unity 8 shell. This window manager will become its own, new project.
- Multi-client testing under Mir has begun and some issues were discovered.
- Some Mir composition code was refactored and will ultimately work on delivering support for composition bypass.
- A Qt-based LightDM mock-up was written for testing and demo purposes in conjunction with Unity 8.
- Next week will feature more work on Unity 8 + Mir window management support. Coming in the next week will also be more Unity 8 user-interface work.