It's been precisely one month since releasing Phoronix Test Suite 4.2 Milestone 2 and three months since the release of Phoronix Test Suite 4.0.1, so while it's a US holiday today, that means it's time for another update to this leading open-source benchmarking / automated testing framework.
In keeping with the timely rhythm of Phoronix Test Suite updates, the stable Phoronix Test Suite 4.2-Randaberg release is due in the very near future. Most of the planned features for Phoronix Test Suite 4.2 have been completed and merged while a couple items (like the overhauled and innovative GUI environment as part of Unterschleissheim), will likely be staved off until the 4.4 release in Q1'2013. The Phoronix Test Suite Git code has been in good shape for many weeks and is itching to be released as stable.
Since last month's development release, the only user-facing "official" changes have been a fix for reporting null estimated run-times, support for Phodevi to determine the compiler build configuration on LLVM 3.2, support for detecting the xf86-video-modesetting driver in fallback configurations, and the toggle_screensaver model now ensuring that blanking isn't enabled of VTs during the benchmarking process.
The more prominent changes made earlier in the Phoronix Test Suite 4.2 development cycle are documented include the first stage improvements, auto-determining Linux benchmarks, and auto-driving benchmarks.
The final Phoronix Test Suite 4.2 release will likely be here in the next week or two. If there's any last minute feature requests, bugs, or other items to report, please let them be known as soon as possible. The latest GPLv3 Phoronix Test Suite release is available from Phoronix-Test-Suite.com. At the same time, improvements to OpenBenchmarking.org have been happening as well with more announcements being imminent.
Phoronix Test Suite 4.2 Milestone 3
22 November 2012
- pts-core: Don't report null times for estimated run-time
- phodevi: Support for determining the build configuration on LLVM 3.2 where llvm-ld is llvm-link
- phodevi: Hard fall-back support for detecting the xf86-video-modesetting driver usage
- toggle_screensaver: Disable blanking of the terminal screen when running tests
Phoronix Test Suite 4.2 Milestone 2
22 October 2012
- pts-core: Add list-recommended-tests option for providing subsystem test recommendations based upon OpenBenchmarking.org popularity/usage
- pts-core: Add auto-compare option for automatically determining relevant OpenBenchmarking.org result comparisons based upon software/hardware
- pts-core: Allow passing test profile names to auto-compare to seed it with the test(s) you wish to use for comparison
- pts-core: OpenBenchmarking.org now supports system log payload sizes up to 2MB
- pts-core: Object-ify PTS external dependency handling
- phodevi: Split some functions into new phodevi_base class
Phoronix Test Suite 4.2 Milestone 1
8 October 2012
- pts-core: Support download caches at /media/*/*/download-cache/
- pts-core: Support OPENGL_DRIVER as a run-time variable
- pts-core: For external dependency handling, treat Linaro as Ubuntu
- pts-core: Check for null distribution-specific external dependency package names
- pts-core: Formatting improvements to result-file-to-text output
- pts-core: Add openssl-development as a new test external dependency
- pts-core: Don't warn on out-of-date test profiles when being run in batch mode
- phodevi: Support for reading the VirtualBox version of Beta/RC versions
- phodevi: Better support detection for Exynos ARM cores
- phodevi: Initial support for reading node power over IPMI
- phodevi: Initial support for reading core temperature over IPMI
- phodevi: On Linux attempt to determine the install RAM's vendor and product part number
- toggle_screensaver: Support for module suspending the Xfce4 desktop screensaver using xfconf-query
- pts_Graph: Fix for vertical/rotated text in SVG -> GD translation