More features for Fedora 19
, a.k.a. the the Schrödinger's Cat release
, have been proposed.
Last week I talked about some of the early Fedora 19 feature proposals
while this week several more features have been proposed on the project's development list.
- Fedora 19 is looking at integrating support for Enlightenment 0.17, the long-awaited window manager release that was in development for more than one decade and finally released in late December. All of the essential Enlightenment packages are currently being subjected to review and likely Enlightenment 0.17 will find itself as a packaged option for those not wishing to use the default GNOME Shell or KDE desktop environments.
- Erlyvideo is a modern open-source video streaming server. The name comes about since the project is written in the Erlang programming language. Earlyvideo supports streaming to Flash, iPad, Android, and SetTopBox platforms. Among the features are capturing endless streams, streaming from Amazon S3-like storage interfaces, and SDI support.
- Version 2.0.0 of the Ruby programming language will likely be incorporated into Fedora 19. Ruby 2.0 has speed and reliability improvements while being backwards-compatible with Ruby 1.9. Other Ruby 2.0 features include refinements, keyword arguments, DTrace support, TracePoint, and various other language features.
- JRuby is an alternative Ruby implementation. Transitioning to the JRuby implementation would require updated packages, better integration with Fedora, and packaging changes. JRuby is popular with Ruby users due to its greater performance and leveraging of the JVM while being used to run really well many web tasks.
- Fedora stakeholders want to get rid of PyXML packages from Fedora since it's been dead upstream for many years. PyXML is no longer developed and has been succeeded by Python's stdlib XML module.
Boost 1.53 Uplift
- Developers simply want the latest upstream Boost libraries available within this next Fedora Linux release.
- The BIND10 software is a complete rewrite of the BIND9 DNS server software. BIND10 provides DNS and DHCP services while being a completely new implementation and designed to be modular.
- Developers want the latest upstream GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) bundle in Fedora 19. GCC 4.8
will be released in March/April of this year and will have many new compiler features that should work its way into Fedora 19. Aside from the compiler being present, Fedora 19 RPM packages will be rebuilt against GCC 4.8 rather than the current GCC 4.7 compiler.