Similar to The Most Popular Linux Benchmarks Of 2012 article that was published earlier today, by leveraging the vast amount of hardware/software data being continuously collected and analyzed on OpenBenchmarking.org in conjunction with the Phoronix Test Suite, posted on this page are some of the most common PC hardware components that were spotted this calendar year. With the hardware being quite common to Linux systems, the support for the listed hardware should be in fairly good shape.
These lists are generated based upon those running the Phoronix Test Suite who opted to have their anonymous software/hardware details uploaded to OpenBenchmarking.org Analytics. The lists are sorted by popularity while being refined to remove any virtualized and non-Linux components.
Top 2012 Linux Graphics Processors:
- Intel HD 2500/4000 "Ivy Bridge" (Gen7)
- Intel Core IGP (Gen5)
- Matrox MGA G200eW WPCM450
- AMD Radeon HD 6800 1024MB
- Intel HD 2000/4000 "Sandy Bridge" (Gen6)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1024MB
- ATI Radeon HD 5700 1024MB
- NVIDIA GeForce 210 1024MB
Top 2012 Linux Intel CPUs / Processors:
- Intel Core 2 Duo P8400
- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
- Intel Core i5-2500K
- Intel Core i5-2520M
- Intel Core i7-2600K
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Intel Core i5-2400
- Intel Core i7-2600
Top 2012 Linux AMD CPUs / Processors:
- AMD Phenom II X4 955
- AMD Phenom II X4 965
- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
- AMD E-350
- AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core
- AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core
- AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
- AMD Phenom II X4 910
Top 2012 Linux Motherboards/PCs:
- The "Intel LosLunas CRB" motherboard. The Los Lunas CRB is Intel's reference board in conjunction with the Sandy Bridge processors.
- The "Dell 023HKR" motherboard that's found in Dell PCs/laptops like the Dell Latitude E5510.
- The "Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H" motherboard that's for AMD AM2+ CPUs and uses a 780G + SB700 chipset configuration.
- Apple's MacBook Pro computers.
- The "ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX" is another very popular AMD motherboard, this one is AM3+ and using the AMD 990FX + SB950 chipset configuration.
- The OMAP4 Panda Board is very popular with Linux developers on ARM.
- The "LENOVO MAHOBAY" was a common occurrence for Linux systems, which is the codename for motherboards found in PCs like the Lenovo ThinkCentre M92.
- The Acer TravelMate 5740 laptop with an Intel Core i5 CPU and Radeon graphics was fairly common too.
Top 2012 Linux Disk Drives:
- 500GB Seagate ST9500420AS
- 500GB Seagate ST9500325AS
- 320GB TOSHIBA MK3261GS
- 320GB Seagate ST320LT007-9ZV14
- 250GB Western Digital WD2500BEKT-7
- 500GB Seagate ST3500418AS
- 250GB INTEL SSDSC2MH25
- 1000GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ
Most Common Screen Resolutions:
Most Common CPU Core Counts:
- 4 Cores
- 2 Cores
- 8 Cores
- 1 Core
Be sure to make sure you're counted in 2013 by using the Phoronix Test Suite for your automated benchmarking needs on Linux, BSD, Solaris, and Mac OS X operating systems.