Version 2.17 of the GNU C Library, glibc, was released on Christmas. This major update introduces AArch64 (64-bit ARM) architecture support and other new functionality.
The key features for the Christmas day release of glibc 2.17 include:
- Port to AArch64 / 64-bit ARM from Linaro.
- Optimized memcpy() function for MIPS.
- SystemTap static probes have been added into the dynamic linker.
- Optimized strstr, strcasestr, memmem, memchr, wcschr, wcscpy, and wcsrchr string functions.
- Improved cross-compilation support.
This new version of glibc is dependent upon at least version 2.6.16 of the Linux kernel. The release announcement for glibc 2.17 can be found at SourceWare.org