As luck would have it, beyond the information I shared a few days ago, an official update has come out of the Xonotic camp. There's a developer news update. Below are some of the key items from their public development update.
- "There's no ETA for a new release, but I can already tell you it’ll have a lot of long awaited and interesting features, raising the high bar set by 0.6."
- Xonotic weapons are still in the process of being redesigned.
- Support for "simple items" -- see video demo embedded below.
- XonStat (Xonotic Statistics) updates.
- Item timers for spectators.
- To further push the visual richness, there's now Cubemap reflections on player models. (See video below.)
- Bezier curves for trajectory and rotation.
- New maps.
For those that missed it, the creator of the open-source game engine that's used by Xonotic (DarkPlaces) is now working at Valve Software on the clients of Steam and Source Engine.