Back in January at CES I checked out the interesting Ubuntu TV prototype, which did use a modified version of Unity and was looking interesting. Ubuntu TV though has yet to ship.
Here's some of the notes from the Ubuntu TV related sessions so far:
- Ubuntu TV is looking to leverage GStreamer. There was an entire session devoted to GStreamer on Ubuntu TV with the notes being available here.
- There was also an entire Ubuntu TV session devoted to controlling the TV over a local network. Those notes are here.
Happening this morning was then a general Ubuntu TV session for getting involved. Those notes are here with some of the highlights below:
- Canonical's looking for help porting Unity 2D TV code to Unity 3D and NUX. Unity 2D is going away.
- They want more Unity lenses / scopes developed for Ubuntu TV.
- Some of the other items desired is an API for controlling the TV over a network, Quickly templates for TV applications, apps for Ubuntu TV needing to be navigatable using arrow keys on a TV remote, integration with an on-screen keyboard, a TV HIG, and some PPAs to show this stuff off.
- They're still trying to define the target screen resolution of Ubuntu TVs.
- There's plans to provide USB images of weekly Ubuntu TV releases.