Fedora 18 Is Hot, Supports Network Teaming, SecureBoot
On Monday another round of features were approved for inclusion into Fedora 18, the Spherical Cow.
At Monday's Fedora Engineering & Steering Committee, another round of Fedora 18 features were approved, per the meeting minutes.
The features approved yesterday include:
- GNOME IBus Integration
- Package Service Presets
- Display Manager Infrastructure Rework: systemd's symlink management will be used to select a display manager and all display managers will bind explicitly to VT1 instead of allocating the first free VT.
- Fedora 18 is hot with its integration of Heat. Heat is a AWS CloudFormation API for OpenStack.
- Fedora 18 will get a network team driver to support teaming multiple network interfaces to act as a single device.
- Upgrading to IPython 0.13.
- The Riak NoSQL database will be added to the Fedora repository.
- Syscall filtering, which will provide better security by defining within an application what syscalls they should be able to execute.
- The UEFI SecureBoot work is finally officially approved for going into Fedora 18.
- Avahi will be on by default for the Fedora desktop.
- Virtualized guest suspend/hibernate support. Linux guests can't enter S3/S4 states right now correctly due to missing functionality in the virtio layer and so for Fedora 18, Red Hat virtualization developers will extend virtio and its drivers to handle Linux hibernation support of guest virtual machines.
- Support for creating live snapshots of virtualized instances. Live snapshots as in copying a virtual machine while the guest is still running.
- System Storage Manager for easy-to-use managing of storage technologies and file-systems like LVM, Btrf, DM, MD, encrypted volumes, etc.
- Firewalld will be the default firewall solution for Fedora 18.
- Liberation Fonts 2 will be pushed into Fedora.
- Auto-hinting support will be enabled within Fontconfig.
These latest features are in addition to many other features approved in past weeks: Fedora 18 To Support KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.9, Fedora 18 Will Get 256 Color Terminals, Fedora 18 Will Preview A New Package Manager, Fedora 18 Approves Controversial Feature, etc.
Latest Linux News
Latest Articles & Reviews
Most Viewed News This Week