The last time we had looked at a SilverStone drive enclosure at Phoronix was in early 2006 when reviewing the SilverStone Storage MS02. This 2.5" IDE hard drive enclosure with a USB 2.0 interface met the SilverStone standards we have come to expect both when it comes to the build quality as well as its looks and performance. With the changing times and increased adoption of Serial ATA, SilverStone recently introduced their MS05, which supports 2.5" SATA drives while this aluminum enclosure has both a eSATA and USB 2.0 interface along with having a 3.5" docking station.
· Extensive compatibility with 2.5" SATA hard drives
· 3.5" docking bay for convenient external storage Hot Swap
· Easily share one hard disk drive between multiple computers
· Support eSATA for high transfer speed up to 3Gbps
· Backward compatible with USB 2.0
The SilverStone MS05 arrived in a blister packed container and inside was the MS05 manual, 3.5" docking station, eSATA cable, mounting screws, one USB cable, and the 2.5" SATA drive enclosure itself. The MS05 is available in black and silver varieties, with the one up for review today being the silver edition.