A few days ago, a new point release for Doom 3 was released along with an
SDK (Software Development Kit) update. Among other things, there are some
substantial improvements in the Linux update, mainly with PunkBuster, EAX
support, the installer, and variety of other fixes. Overall, Timothee Besset
(Doom 3 Linux port maintainer) has done a great job with this new patch, however,
are there any performance benefits or losses from this latest patch? The id
Software Doom 3 1.3.1302 patch performance is the focus of this article.
Fixes & Updates in 1.3:
· PunkBuster(TM) support has been added.
· EAX(R) ADVANCED HD(TM) support in the sound engine contributed by
Creative Labs(R). Doom 3 base game comes with room reverb data.
· To utilize EAX(R) ADVANCED HD(TM) in Doom 3, you must have 100% EAX
4.0 compatible sound card. Please refer to your sound card manufacturer for
details on whether or not your sound card supports EAX 4.0.
· Sound Blaster(R) Audigy(R) 2 users who wish to utilize the new EAX
4.0 feature in Doom 3 should download the latest Creative Beta Drivers for
the card released on April 5th, 2005. Not using these drivers may result in
game instability while using EAX 4.0.
· Server provides .pk4 file download URLs (http/ftp), client has internal
· New class of .pk4 files: 'addon paks' are only referenced when the
map is loaded in.
· .pk4 downloads and addon paks come with a number of fixes to the
'pure server mode' filesystem code.
· Fixed ragdoll bounciness.
· Fixed how Doom 3 detects LAN client vs. Internet clients.
· LZW compression of render demos.
· Fixed command line parameter passing.
· Added a QuakeIII-style graph of the connection quality for network
clients defaults off, enable with net_clientLagOMeter 1 displays a graph of
how much the client predicts ahead of the server note that you can change
the minimum predict ahead of a client by setting net_clientPrediction
Changes relevant to mod developers (SDK):
· Added UploadImage to idRenderSystem interface. This lets the user
blit images to the renderer.
· Supports fs_game_base; this lets you base a mod off base game + d3xp
+ your own content.
· Most of the download redirection is handled in the game code, and
can be extended.
· ALSA device opened non-blocking to avoid hangs.