Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock AM1H-ITX: One Of The Best AM1 Mini-ITX Motherboards

Phoronix: ASRock AM1H-ITX: One Of The Best AM1 Mini-ITX Motherboards

For those looking out for an affordable mini-ITX motherboard for AMD's new AM1 APUs, the ASRock AM1H-ITX is a very interesting and versatile motherboard.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael,

I prefer the ASUS Mobo for OC and talking about that did you tried, besides base clock to 105MHz and Multiplier to 21, increase NB frequency ?

I made that test in a Trinity with a FM2+ MoBo and i'm getting better results in games.

How about in the ASUS AM1 MoBo you bump NB up to same frequency as OC'ed RAM, 1680MHz ?

There is also a site that is reporting that with ASUS MoBo it can be possible OC a 5150 with base clock to 132 making both CPU and RAM work at 2112MHz when using 2133MHz RAM module, and iGPU reached almost to 800MHz...

(Link by KiSUAN)

There were there other results like making the 5150 run at 2367MHz in CPU , 600MHz in the GPU and RAM at 1973Mhz using Kingston RAM that was 1866MHz!!!

It's possible that you need set SATA to IDE mode to go above 105 base clock...

Can you make tests that copnfirm this and also check out what can be done with a 5350 ?

....and check what can be done as for NB frequency ?

I believe that these Jaguars have a lot to give us, in special when paired with fast RAM and the ASUS MoBos

Comment

Lots of Risk for Little Reward

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
      I prefer the ASUS Mobo for OC and talking about that did you tried, besides base clock to 105MHz and Multiplier to 21, increase NB frequency ?

I made that test in a Trinity with a FM2+ MoBo and i'm getting better results in games.
      OC'ing a Kabini board? Is it really worth the risk to system stability for a few bits of increased performance? I think not. Sure, it's fun to try and to see what happens, but really, it seems like wasted time and wasted effort. What is the goal of such an effort? To play games? Or something else? I can't figure out your goal from your post.

Sure, OC'ing a FM2 series mobo and related processors should give better results...but consider the target market for that hardware.

Would I consider building a NAS on the ASrock mobo that Michael reviewed? Sure I would consider it, but I prefer SuperMicro boards for servers; they have a longer "support life", more "server like" options, and they actually test their boards with different OS including Redhat Enterprise Linux.

This board has an onboard 24-pin ATX power so I could use a bigger power supply for more power hungry drives. This board has 4 SATA connectors. This board has an x4 PCIe slot that might support a SuperMicro LSI-based HBA that supports 8 drives into x4. So a total of 12 SATA drives, and SATA2 or SATA3 performance doesn't make much difference here.

The mobo will support up to 16GB of RAM so ZFS without ECC memory (yes, the ZFS harcore would say not to do that) is possible, but we don't know if this board will support ECC and RAID5 has it's own issues regardless of ECC or non-ECC. Then we have to worry about any issues with Linux support for AMD-specific aspects of the memory management functions within Kabini.

Then there is the Realtek NIC. Not my favorite choice of NICs, but this is a budget board. So just don't try to push this board with heavy network loads or "the ghost of Realtek" will magically appear and ruin your day...and your data.

Sad to say the mini PCIe slot looks like "half a slot", like it was designed for half-slot mini-PCIe Wi-Fi addon cards. That makes mSATA drive choices very difficult, assuming the half-slot is compatible with mSATA and the system can boot from that slot. I have seen few half-slot mSATA boards and they can be "hard to find". I found the Transcend brand at TigerDirect in sizes up to 64GB and up to ~90 USD.

So I guess building a NAS on this board could be possible, but don't expect all the high-end frills that you can find on other boards. Remember the target market for these boards and this CPU.
      Last edited by NotMine999; 27 April 2014, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Its indeed it all depends for what we need a MoBo...as for this MoBo good for a small and compact NAS,etc. it all depends of many drives you want and how powerfull must it...for people with small needs the models from ASRock can easely have a ODD, 2 HDD (there even already 2.5 HDDs with 2TB in standard 9.5mm z-height) and a regular SSD.
        mPCIe is indeed only for WiFi/BT cards.

The other model from ASRock is also great for who needs legacy connectors , like Paralel port.

ASUS is a nice option for light gaming on a budget...and if i managed to play games like CoH , WiCSA , CoD2 , BF2 (stock game or with light mods, heavy mods, no) UT4 ,etc. with a E-350, you can be sure i can do it much better (more modern games and/or with higher settings) with an AM1 in special if it s paired with a MoBo that lets OC quite nicelly much more than expected...

The ASUS Mobo is also great for who needs Legacy connectors in special Serial port (nice to have it to program uC)

Then we have to consider other aspects like thermal limits and how easy is to cool down a rig...when you make small rigs like i do (and by small i mean 210x220x65mm ,with a ODD inside or 200x220x56mm without ODD) there are serious limits to how much powerfull can be the rig and still stand ambient temperatures of 30-40C.

It simply can't be done with a Kaveri A10 or even a Kaveri A8....the power drain is not a problem, the problem is to remove the heat build up.
        Sure, i couild set a A10-7850K to cTDP of 45W with some MoBos...butinfo that i have is that then its cores are running at only 1100MHz...
        No matter how good the cores are and everything else like dual channel, i don-t think a A10-7850K will be a match to a 5150/5350 OC that will still drain less enerrgy...

I struggle even to control a A6-5400K to keep it under 60C all the time even when playinbg games.
        The AM1 is a great plantform to make that kind of builds....

As for it's cooler be 40mm thick , that won't be a problem....i downloaded a AMD doc in PDF with full cooler details and i figured out that i can DIY a custom heatsink in skived full copper and make the all thing, including 3rd party fan, 22.5mm tall (total size will be 70x70x22.5mm including 70x70x10mm fan that actually is not noisy at all in special because these AM1 MoBos let us make profiles using voltage or PẀM control that will allow low enough RPM when APU in light load to mkae it very quiet (even at full speed vthe fan is not that noisy))..

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
          OC'ing a Kabini board? Is it really worth the risk to system stability for a few bits of increased performance? I think not. Sure, it's fun to try and to see what happens, but really, it seems like wasted time and wasted effort. What is the goal of such an effort? To play games? Or something else? I can't figure out your goal from your post.
          Stability and hardware life are not adversely affected if you aren't over volting or maxing out the clock. You find out where it finally gets unstable then back it off a bit, increase cooling if necessary, actually, increase the cooling capacity to also reduce noise. I've been overclocking since my 286SX 16Mhz that I got to run at 25Mhz, I've never had stability problems and never damaged any of my hardware.

Comment

mPCIe is indeed only for WiFi/BT cards.
            1Tb mSATA Samsung 640 EVO SSD drive for the mPCIe slot http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147318

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              1Tb mSATA Samsung 640 EVO SSD drive for the mPCIe slot http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147318
              The slot seems the same but if it's wired properly, it will not work, also that's a full size mSATA card....good for ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ for example but not for this MoBo even if it supported mSATA protocol, witch it doesn't seem so.

The maximum size that i found for sure till now in half size mSATA cards is 128GB....there is also half size bare (only the mainboard with chips and SATA connectors, no case) SSD cards with bigger capacities.

Comment

Reading posts at overclock.net, seems that 5150 (and almost for sure also the 5350) are fully stable in all types of stress tests up to 132MHz BCLK...but like i said, we need set SATA to IDE mode...i yet didn't got answer from one of users doing it if he/she is using VGA , HDMI or DVI-D...

That user also said that at 133MHz BCLK some instability starts to happen in some stress tests and some video problems...i wonder if video problems are in VGA....nevertheless, the user pushed all the way up to 148 BCLK.

The results are very impressive and with 132MHz BCLK and RAM running at 2112MHz power drain increases only 5W.

Comment

but like i said, we need set SATA to IDE mode...
                  Maybe they turn off everything that SoC supports , and then use Azalia USB3 (or Azalia SATAs if board have it) drives or some aditional cards. Who knows maybe then APU will allow to be more clocked .

But i see here it is possibile with my board even 154 clock so 3157MHz for Athlon 5350 is possibile .

The Athlon 5350 @ 3156.8MHzscores getScoreFormatted in the CPU Frequency benchmark. toyoneranks #null worldwide and #2 in the hardware class. Find out more at HWBOT.

Joking OK that is unusable in real world . But i am seeing, results on some places 2.53GHz:

That looks like max resonable overclock with the normal cooler . Of course if someone is lucky to get and be stable there .
                  Last edited by dungeon; 28 April 2014, 04:28 PM.

Comment

But i can see one thing more, everyone who overclock those Athlon 5350 to more than 2200MHz... simply just not use iGPU from SoC, but other graphics in PCIE slot .

Comment

Working...
                    X