Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 3.0 Announced, Expected Soon

Phoronix: OpenGL 3.0 Announced, Expected Soon

This past week at Siggraph 2007 the Khronos Group had announced OpenGL 3.0, which was previously known as OpenGL Longs Peak. The OpenGL 3.0 specification should be finalized by the end of August and may become publicly available in late September.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

that's just the standard. on-paper-thing.

we'll have to wait for hardware implementation, and then wait till the prices get reasonable enough.

and then we'll have to wait a year or so for fglrx support.

neat, don't you think? neither do i.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

You sure aren't putting much faith into the new driver.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I do, but that doesn't that I believe that OpenGL 3.0 will be supported before anytime 2008. I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
          that's just the standard. on-paper-thing.

we'll have to wait for hardware implementation, and then wait till the prices get reasonable enough.

Actually, most of 3.0 will run just fine on the current batch of hardware...

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            I do, but that doesn't that I believe that OpenGL 3.0 will be supported before anytime 2008. I don't.
            Not by AMD unless they change their tune sometime in the near future. NVidia and Intel might just have it by end of year.

Comment

This doesn't look like it has many changes that require new hardware. It looks like it's more of a cleaning up/ performance improvement restructuring with some new features that ought to be doable on any card that can do directx 10.

Comment

You sure aren't putting much faith into the new driver.
                i don't have any reason _not_ to do it.

Comment

I heard somewhere that cards that got bought after January 2006 will support OpenGL 3.0.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    I heard somewhere that cards that got bought after January 2006 will support OpenGL 3.0.
                    OpenGL 3.0 (Longs Peak) is more or less OpenGL 2.1 under the new object model. Around new year there'll be a new release (Mt Evans) that'll require G80 or R600-series, adding geometry shader support and other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X