Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtualBox 4.0 Beta 1 Brings Major Changes

Phoronix: VirtualBox 4.0 Beta 1 Brings Major Changes

It was more than six months ago that Oracle released Oracle VM VirtualBox 3.2, formerly known as Sun's VirtualBox, as their most recent major update. Oracle now, however, is readying a very major VM VirtualBox 4.0 update. Today they have released the first public beta of Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.0 and it brings many new features along with some changes that may prove to be another disappointing step by Oracle in alienating the open-source community...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Your article seems a bit biased. What licence are these extra packages released under?

Have you thought that maybe they've been separated out to allow for quicker fixes to these specific components without having to release a whole new version?

This doesn't mean I condone what Oricle is doing with the rest of Sun btw

Comment

rdp was never part of the virtualbox-ose so i dont know whar you are talking about

Comment

Resizing of images is certainly a welcome addition (finally).

The fact that things like USB and RDP are still not integrated into the main version is indeed not a good sign for the future of virtualbox.

Comment

Originally posted by AnorexiasGrizzli View Post
          rdp was never part of the virtualbox-ose so i dont know whar you are talking about
          As far as I know, none of these things were ever a part of virtualbox-ose.

In addition, the target market for VirtualBox is server virtualization and Oracle does not have any interest in doing business with home users, but does benefit from having them be testers. It would not make much sense for Oracle to begin charging home users for closed source components that they currently give away for free, so as you said, I do not see what the problem here is.

Comment

hda emulation would be grrreat since virtualbox has problems with audio chunking out in many configurations with windows yadda guests, maybe they will get it right this time

Comment

vbox is GPL2. Fork it if you're so scared.

Comment

Originally posted by oneman View Post
                hda emulation would be grrreat since virtualbox has problems with audio chunking out in many configurations with windows yadda guests, maybe they will get it right this time
                That's been a problem for me since what seems like forever, but with the new HD Audio emulation sound finally works fine with no skipping, crackling or stuttering. Yay.

Comment

does virtual box support IOMMU?

and if it does, is this of any advantage to a desktop user?

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
                    vbox is GPL2. Fork it if you're so scared.
                    I agree 100%. Oracle would just be shooting themselves in the foot yet again by losing whatever open-source contributions were coming their way to a community fork that will inevitably diverge in incomparable ways. Fortunately Virtualbox has at least one perfectly competent fully open-source replacement whose development has been charging full speed ahead for longer than Virtualbox has been around.

If we have to fork, people will come out of the woodwork and support a community version. They always do. That said, this was a pretty pessimistic article (with good justification...) and let's hope there's eventually a few good exciting words to say before release.

Comment

Working...
                    X