Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Releases OpenGL 3.3 & OpenGL 4.0

Phoronix: Khronos Releases OpenGL 3.3 & OpenGL 4.0

The Khronos Group has been updating the OpenGL 3.x spec about every six months and with OpenGL 3.2 having been released last August, we expected OpenGL 3.3 would be announced soon and figured it may come this week during the Game Developers' Conference in San Francisco. Well, it did. Not only did Khronos releases the OpenGL 3.3 specification, but they have also went ahead and already released OpenGL 4.0!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there any apps out there using OpenGL 3 yet?

I wonder if Mesa might skip OpenGL 3 entirely and work on OpenGL 4 support instead

Comment

The Steam+Mac deal will have a great impact and forces AMD/nVidia to work more on their OpenGL code. The Source engine and its games are coming next month and will probably use OpenGL 3.x as a first step. If you know your german, here's something about developers planning to port their games to Mac now after the Steam deal:

Half-Life, Portal, News, Neuigkeiten, Artikel, Aktuelle Infos, Release Date, Download, Erscheinungstermin, Mod Release, Top News, Spiele, Valve, Episode Three, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, Half-Life 3, Half-Life 4

Comment

I'm really pleased that Khronos have gotten their act together, it makes OpenGL look far more respectable too.

Comment

wow, this is amazing.. now i'm kind of glad i waited to take up opengl programming. i can learn gl4 from scratch instead of learning 2 then 3 then 4. i just hope that gl4 is going to be stable. as in, not be replaced by gl5 anytime soon.

The Steam+Mac deal will have a great impact and forces AMD/nVidia to work more on their OpenGL code. The Source engine and its games are coming next month...
          i completely agree. the blob drivers are about to get a whole lot faster, better, and more opengl optimised(directx on my card is much faster than opengl). and yes, i know that sounds really optimistic..
          but this is exciting stuff.

Comment

I'm impressed at the rate Mesa is progressing. Just writing a specification doesn't mean much if it isn't implemented. Mesa isn't magically further behind over night.

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post
              wow, this is amazing.. now i'm kind of glad i waited to take up opengl programming. i can learn gl4 from scratch instead of learning 2 then 3 then 4. i just hope that gl4 is going to be stable. as in, not be replaced by gl5 anytime soon.
              If you wan't to learn GL chances are that you will start learning about the primitives and fixed functionality, 1.0 and up.

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post
                There is not much difference between OpenGL 3.0 and 4.0. Ok there are a lot of new features but the general way to draw something is the same since OpenGL 3.0. (If you do not use the old <OpenGL 3.0 stuff).
                Geometry is sent to the Vertex Shaders (using Vertex Buffer objects) which processes it vertex by vertex and then the fragment shader computes the pixel colors for the rasterized geometry. This will be the same with OpenGL 4.0.
                The difference is that you're able to do a lot more with the new shader types and other provided features but you don't have to use them. Forward compatible OpenGL 3.0 code will work with GL4 without changes (but it's important to program forward compatible - that means the same as using the core profile of opengl 3.2 - i.e. glBegin()/glEnd(), DisplayLists etc. are not allowed to use)

If you want to learn the new way of OpenGL programming then I can remommend Beginning OpenGL game programming, Second Edition. It tells you how to use OpenGL 3.0 from scratch without the old GL2 stuff.

Comment

It'd be interesting to hear ird's opinion on the two new specs, especially considering GLU3 is progressing nicely (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~idr/glu3/).

Comment

To clear some things up. Nvidia will likely release OpenGL 3.3 drivers soon (I guess the same for AMD). In case of Nvidia OpenGL 4.0 has to wait until the release of the Geforce GTX4*0 by the end of this month since a Direct3D11-capable GPU is required for OpenGL 4.0.

Yes, OpenGL 4.0 allows us to implement Direct3D11 in Wine but don't expect it any time soon. Our Direct3D10 is still not even finished.

Comment

Working...
                    X