Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blu-ray Support In FFmpeg? Coming Soon, Perhaps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blu-ray Support In FFmpeg? Coming Soon, Perhaps.

Phoronix: Blu-ray Support In FFmpeg? Coming Soon, Perhaps.

A week ago at Phoronix we published an interview with the developers of FFmpeg (well, just three of their active developers) where topics from OpenCL to their release cycle to multi-threading support were discussed. Diego Biurrun, Baptiste Coudurier, and Robert Swain also talked about their version 0.5 milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Don't forget the BD+ DRM. BluRay discs comes with AACS and BD+ DRM

Comment

BD+ is optional, and I don't know how many discs actually ship with it. Has anyone broken it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
        BD+ is optional, and I don't know how many discs actually ship with it. Has anyone broken it yet?
        It have been broken, but I can promise you that BD+ is not optional

AnyDVD HD can remove AACS as well as BD+.

At doom9.org can you find the open source versions of the utilities to remove the BD+ and decrypt the AACS.

You can also find lists of the movies that comes with BD+ at doom9. It is quite a lot these days.

Comment

One is forced to wonder how much farther along Linux could be if the right hardware landed in the right (and capable) hands. With the millions of dollars now in the Linux ecosystem, it's a real shame to hear that people building something as important as the core multimedia components don't have access to a $100 drive. In a perfect world, manufacturers would be smart enough to make sure this kinda thing didn't happen with their hardware (ie Nokia?).

Comment

So I wasn't that far off..

Or am I one of the parties? I only posted in the forums and only offered cash so I suppose not.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
              In a perfect world,
              In a perfect world, we'd not have to worry about DRM and not being able to play DVDs, Blurays, etc. in Linux w/o jumping thru hoops.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                It have been broken, but I can promise you that BD+ is not optional

AnyDVD HD can remove AACS as well as BD+.

At doom9.org can you find the open source versions of the utilities to remove the BD+ and decrypt the AACS.

You can also find lists of the movies that comes with BD+ at doom9. It is quite a lot these days.
                Still optional for the studios, but most use it. AnyDVD I think is back to decrypting every Blu-Ray. Last I checked doom9 they'd figured out the easiest BD+ varietys but not the more advanced ones. So even if they did include the best of open source, there'd still be problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjella View Post
                  Still optional for the studios, but most use it. AnyDVD I think is back to decrypting every Blu-Ray. Last I checked doom9 they'd figured out the easiest BD+ varietys but not the more advanced ones. So even if they did include the best of open source, there'd still be problems.
                  Well, I hope that they will implement AACS and BD+ decrypting as a separate lib, just as libdvdcss, even if it is called during the demuxing process, so as it can be reused. And having a libbluerayread, just as libdvdread, would be great too.
                  Nice to see them trying to implement this stuff, though, whatever the way they choose to do it. :-)

Comment

I believe that the developers at Doom9 were holding off improvements to their 'open source' (well, unlicensed) BD+ virtual machine on account that they did not want to compete with AnyDVD. Rather they wanted to stay around 6 months or so behind it, if I recall.

Of course, I am sure if Bluray on Linux became less of a fringe subject (it is quite taboo ? for a very good reason, I hasten to add) that some other developers would pick up the development.

Regards, Freddie.

Comment

Working...
                    X