Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XBMC Media Player Has Support For NVIDIA VDPAU

Phoronix: XBMC Media Player Has Support For NVIDIA VDPAU

The Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix is one of the best innovations to occur within the proprietary NVIDIA Linux display driver in recent times. VDPAU allows offloading much of the video acceleration work from the CPU onto the GPU, which results in a $20 CPU and $30 GPU being able to sustain HD video playback and great video benchmark results. The VDPAU API was just introduced late last year with the introduction of an updated NVIDIA driver, but since then support for this video API has appeared in MPlayer / FFmpeg, MythTV, Xine, and VLC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope that ATI will move soon too.... maybe in 1 or 2 years. ... just joking.

Comment

Im glad to read this but what is with the extrem high CPU Usage ? Its not possible to watch a Movie on a Single Core CPU ( Testet with an AMD64 3000+ 1Gb Ram and Radeon 9500 )

Comment

I have an Intel Atom 330 (dual core HT) 1.6Ghz with 2GB RAM _ ATI Radeon 2400HD on pci + ubuntu and it working fine "except video tearing bugs". With better driver I'm sure it will be able to display more easily HD contents.

Comment

Originally posted by nico342 View Post
          I have an Intel Atom 330 (dual core HT) 1.6Ghz with 2GB RAM _ ATI Radeon 2400HD on pci + ubuntu and it working fine "except video tearing bugs". With better driver I'm sure it will be able to display more easily HD contents.
          On My Dual core it work fine but one core is at 100%

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            Im glad to read this but what is with the extrem high CPU Usage ? Its not possible to watch a Movie on a Single Core CPU ( Testet with an AMD64 3000+ 1Gb Ram and Radeon 9500 )
            What kind of files are you playing? Athlon64 3000+ should be able to play 720p24 H.264, but most 1080p videos would be too hard to decode by software (even CoreAVC, which is a bit faster than the FFmpeg/libavcodec decoder used in XBMC).

CPU loads on multi-core processors depend on the threading capabilities of the video decoder. The current version of libavcodec only supports multi-threaded decoding of sliced H.264, but XBMC also includes a patch that splits bitstream decoding (CABAC) to a separate thread. This means that some H.264 videos (especially rips encoded with x264) are decoded mostly in one thread and only 10-30% of the work can be done on the remaining core.

With VDPAU, CPU load would be minimal, but since your A64 system probably has only AGP and PCI slots, upgrading to a supported NVIDIA GPU would require finding a PCI (not PCIe) version of GeForce 8400 GS or getting a PCIe motherboard.

Comment

(even CoreAVC, which is a bit faster than the FFmpeg/libavcodec decoder used in XBMC).
              It may change ...FFmpeg/libavcodec a bit faster with next XBMC release. MKV HD 720, X264 are really bad a lot of frame drop.
              Divx 720 are better with my Atom dual core.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                See: http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13232
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Nvidia is for me no Option because im a AMD/ATI fanboy And Play normal Video with 100% CPU usage is 100% a Player Problem.

Originally posted by deneb View Post
                  What kind of files are you playing? Athlon64 3000+ should be able to play 720p24 H.264, but most 1080p videos would be too hard to decode by software (even CoreAVC, which is a bit faster than the FFmpeg/libavcodec decoder used in XBMC).
                  It was only a PAL Video. every player can play this without high cpu usage.

Comment

@Nille: check your VSync settings first (enable max quality in amdcccle and set vsync off from inside XBMC).

FYI, we have been facing anomalies on dual-cores since Intrepid was released: the CABAC patch that was cited above does not perform well in Intrepid and newer, while in Hardy it splits the CPU load quite evenly. The reason - and the patch - is still to be identified.

XBMC can perform quite well once you reach a good setup, I managed to play 1080p on single core Athlon LE (Neuros Link), with only a few frame drops.

Comment

Working...
                    X