No announcement yet.

The Current State, Preview Of The Ubuntu Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the first time in quite a while i am actually impressed with canonical. It will be a tough battle between jolla phone and ubuntu phone. This means also wayland vs mir on actual retail phones in the not so distant future

Comment

Navigation, Bluetooth, and commercial app support? Who needs a phone.

1- The number one thing I look for in a phone is a great navigation system. What good is a phone when you don't know where you are? Does anyone know if Google Navigate is or will be available?
      2- Since I do not use or own windows, my android device often fills in that need where there is some commercial support for Android. For instance as an interface to my Contour camera, or to gain an RSA token for VPN.
      3- Hows the bluetooth? The bluetooth interface to my helmet and car stereo for navigation, communication, and tunes is also a must have item.

All other things equal, I would prefer a platform like Ubuntu over Android any day. I am, and have been for many many years, a Debian Unstable/Experimental user.

Comment

Im still hanging on to my old simple phone. Just love the battery life, but its become time to get some maps in the pocket so it seems a smartphone is in order. And im pretty sure I wanna put ubuntu on it

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
          This is the first time in quite a while i am actually impressed with canonical. It will be a tough battle between jolla phone and ubuntu phone. This means also wayland vs mir on actual retail phones in the not so distant future
          Competition is good for both. We'll see progress faster.

Comment

I'm not really impressed with this interface.It looks to me that they are empowering window management to much but leaving to little to applications. For example,if someone tries to implement interface similar to zune or metro(whatever they call it) it would be difficult to maneuver. One wrong swipe and you are in unity dash or whatever they call it or in another application.This leaves to little room for applications to maneuver.This will become cumbersome in smaller form factors.I have old and small Galaxy 5 that I use for listening music and little bit browsing on the side.On this device screen is 2.6 inches which is a bitch.Having interface like uPhone OS would be disaster.There is a reason why Apple is keeping it lite and simple.Let the applications developers innovate not the other way around.

Comment

interface

Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
              I'm not really impressed with this interface.It looks to me that they are empowering window management to much but leaving to little to applications. For example,if someone tries to implement interface similar to zune or metro(whatever they call it) it would be difficult to maneuver. One wrong swipe and you are in unity dash or whatever they call it or in another application.This leaves to little room for applications to maneuver.This will become cumbersome in smaller form factors.I have old and small Galaxy 5 that I use for listening music and little bit browsing on the side.On this device screen is 2.6 inches which is a bitch.Having interface like uPhone OS would be disaster.There is a reason why Apple is keeping it lite and simple.Let the applications developers innovate not the other way around.
              a screen with 2.6 is a pain the ass wathever the interface, less than they need 4 inches at least. one more thing why should someone implement metro interface on a ubuntu phoneOS? lol this is a joke right?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                a screen with 2.6 is a pain the ass whatever the interface, less than they need 4 inches at least. one more thing why should someone implement metro interface on a ubuntu phoneOS? lol this is a joke right?
                Depends how you look on things.I really don't need some big screen on phone.I need decent phone who has a good battery life and good audio support.Few years back when iPhone (first) was all the rage I could of bought good DAP (i still use my sansa) and be done with it.But today it's not that easy.

So not everyone has the same needs.Even if bought uPhone with 3.5-4 inch screen there would be problems with hardware keys to control the damned device and don't let me start how would I exercise with such a bulky device in a gym or when running.I just cant imagine myself strapping some 3.5 inch device on my arm and start running with it let alone something bigger.

Canonical made a decision to make such interface that when scaled on some smaller form factor is not really usable.Unless you make interface out of unity like Apple did with ipod nano or something.It's a verry limiting interface.

And i wasn't talking about implementing metro interface in ubuntu but in application like űber music player or zune player on android. It's a great interface that empowers smaller form factors and makes searching music on my galaxy 5 very easy.I tried other players none of them worked that good like uber music.

Comment

Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
                  Depends how you look on things.I really don't need some big screen on phone.I need decent phone who has a good battery life and good audio support.Few years back when iPhone (first) was all the rage I could of bought good DAP (i still use my sansa) and be done with it.But today it's not that easy.

So not everyone has the same needs.Even if bought uPhone with 3.5-4 inch screen there would be problems with hardware keys to control the damned device and don't let me start how would I exercise with such a bulky device in a gym or when running.I just cant imagine myself strapping some 3.5 inch device on my arm and start running with it let alone something bigger.

Canonical made a decision to make such interface that when scaled on some smaller form factor is not really usable.Unless you make interface out of unity like Apple did with ipod nano or something.It's a verry limiting interface.

And i wasn't talking about implementing metro interface in ubuntu but in application like űber music player or zune player on android. It's a great interface that empowers smaller form factors and makes searching music on my galaxy 5 very easy.I tried other players none of them worked that good like uber music.
                  ok i undertand better now ;p

we need to see the final version to see if works or not. i dont like to talk about future, initial i hate unity interface (i go to fedora kde because of it) and now i love it.

i use a old garbage nokia, no smartphone

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                    ok i undertand better now ;p

we need to see the final version to see if works or not. i dont like to talk about future, initial i hate unity interface (i go to fedora kde because of it) and now i love it.

i use a old garbage nokia, no smartphone
                    Same here.I love my old nokia n95. Nokia was only phone maker that I could trust with general quality and sound quality now I don't trust them to store one phone contact.

Comment

For me the real question is just how much it's Linux under the hood. And how many packages will be available. In Android the entire Linux userland was thrown out of the window by design. You can install busybox and get some basic things working but anything more complex - forget about it. Go to Google Play and buy some stupid game or something... On newer version of Android the situation is a bit better but I got 2.3.5 and it's really, really ugly. So who needs more than one pathetic excuse for an operating system that can only run junk? (And we already have more than one.)

I have a feeling that Ubuntu Phone will end up being the same. There's still hope that I'm wrong though. Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                      X