Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Release Of Phoronix Test Suite "Sokndal"

Phoronix: The First Release Of Phoronix Test Suite "Sokndal"

Phoronix Test Suite 4.8 "Sokndal" is under heavy development following the stable Phoronix Test Suite 4.6.1 update that arrived earlier this month. So far there's min/max reporting improvements, continued work on bettering Apple OS X benchmarks, and a lot more to come...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congrats, Michael. I haven't found a bug tracker for PTS. I guess it would be nice to have one? Anyways, here is a bug with geometric mean (page 1 of this thread):

Comment

Congrats on the release.

Could we have different colors for "More is better" and "Less is better" text, please? I've suggested it already but I have no idea if it is being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        Congrats on the release.

Could we have different colors for "More is better" and "Less is better" text, please? I've suggested it already but I have no idea if it is being worked on.
        There are different ways of approaching this. I personally think we should always show things in a way "more is better". For instance, for the linux kernel, we could show "compiles per hour". What I do, for now, is to click on "analyze", and check "Normalize Results". That way, everything is shown as "more is better", and normalized to some reference, which is what I normally care about. You can even choose the reference value (which is also highlighted). All these analytics are wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          Congrats, Michael. I haven't found a bug tracker for PTS. I guess it would be nice to have one?
          As I'm largely the only main contributor to the PTS/OB code-base, I just keep most stuff in my head and then use the PTS sub-forum as a reminder to filter through of stuff. So yeah, basically I just use the forums as my impromptu bug-tracker and keep track of the rest. So until there's more active contributors on a continuous basis, it's basically easier on me and saves time just using the forums.

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          Anyways, here is a bug with geometric mean (page 1 of this thread):

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...X-Benchmarking
          Yeah I'm going to look at it next time I touch the OB code.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

What I still miss are clever (dynamic) svg result diagrams (suggested it here some years ago).

So for example dynamically set an entry to 100% (normalizing) with hover over:
            See diagrams here: http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/g...770-im-test/4/

And also highlight and see values in curves when clicking on it; deselect/select curves with clicking on the legend beneath:

That would help greatly with visibility problems in crowded diagrams.

Comment

What you suggest would work consistently in no browser, SVG is a terrible standard and each implementation differs.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                What you suggest would work consistently in no browser, SVG is a terrible standard and each implementation differs.
                Nonsense, EVERY modern browser nowadays understands SVG and at least the basic features work the same everywhere, the features I suggested dont need some really fancy SVG stuff (where dragons be found), probably simply some javascript is enough so you dont even need SMIL support...
                Anyway, the site I mentioned before, has it running on all Browsers (except old IE without SVG - they simply get png or jpg as fallback) since YEARS.
                Oh btw, the Phoronix Test Suite result diagrams are already SVG...
                So it is a miracle anybody can see anything at all?

Comment

It took about a year of tweaking until the PTS-output SVGs displayed properly in all browsers, you can probably search the threads up from when it first started displaying SVG instead of PNG. It failed in various versions of Opera and IE (text was overlapping all the place), looked different in some versions of Webkit, etc.

BTW, I got no SVG on your link, they served me images.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    BTW, I got no SVG on your link, they served me images.
                    Wow, so you either browse with some really antique Browser, or your configuration is seriously messed up!
                    First introduced April 2008 on Computerbase.de, the minimum requirements for those SVG diagrams are: Firefox 3, Opera 9.50, Safari 3.1 oder Google Chrome...
                    But as you saw yourself, even seriously outdated (or f***** up) Browsers still get the png files.

So what are we even debating over here? Since Phoronix _already uses SVG_, why not start taking advantage of the capabilities of this vector graphics format?
                    Or should Phoronix stop using images althogether because there could be Lynx users out there?

The only "downside" I see is naturally the work needed to do it, and given that Phoronix is basically only Michael...
                    Still, imho it would make both Phoronix and Phoronix Test Suite more attractive, so it would be worth to at least think about it.
                    Edit: And Michael explicitly asked for feature requests, and that was mine. Diskussions about if/why one (dis)likes SVG seems to get off topic, so I try to stop it here.
                    Last edited by Stebs; 24 June 2013, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X