To the AMD people: Money wasted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    Having an opensource operating system installed, inserting hardware and having recongnised and made usable using opensource driver, then going to linux gaming site, finding a game and having it automatically downloaded installed and playable. Everything within 5 minutes, everything for free (or payed account, but only in case there is SENSE for it to be payed, real work done for that money) and without any "compability layers".
    This is my experience with the Humble Indie Bundle, and most open source games (my distro has them in the repository).

So I guess the FOSS driver is functional, by your own definition.

I don't know what Joe the Chemist and his WINE have to do with the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      they this way: wine is opensource and uses openGL on linux and amd support openGL and wine on linux.

thats all no bad stuff around you.
      Let me expand to the reality this very cut version of yours(talking about me being a joke).

running proprietary not-native software, wine is opensource implementation of patented proprietary API of a very known company that is proved many times to have extremely strong fashistic intentions(as contrast to cross-platform), following proprietary API design and injecting it to linux together with copyrighted stuff(mscorefonts), whole folder of unneeded dll remaps and runtime hacks(wineserver), all wasting additional machine resources and uses openGL on linux(yay, why does it not work good with catalyst again?) and amd support openGL and wine on linux(instead of supporting the native drivers. Is Arma2 officially supported on wine? Do I see that on its wikipedia page? On official site? No, its windows only and amd is paying for a hack.).

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        This is my experience with the Humble Indie Bundle, and most open source games (my distro has them in the repository).

So I guess the FOSS driver is functional, by your own definition.

I don't know what Joe the Chemist and his WINE have to do with the discussion.
        Me too, dont know why Joe has to use WINE. Me wonder why only 3 developers are working on the opensource driver. Me wonder why fglrx is being bent in the path where nvidia has gone for years. Me wonder why AMD cards do not work as good nvidia ones(or even better!). Me wonder why so much people like to play via wine instead of having native games.

And to my greatest surprise, I dont understand what windows users and proprietary lovers have forgot on linux/bsd forum. If you like proprietary, if you like wasting money on things totally unrelated to opensource progress, you are very well suited with virdows.
        But Im not looking for this answer in this thread, as it was originally devoted to discussion of amd hardware and drivers for the reason of improving what can be improved.

Comment

Oh damn, what is wrong with you people? Wine is 3D in Linux. To the END USER spinning cubes, solitaire and tux racer are NOT replacements for Crysis, WOW, Tomb Raider and other REAL 3D games. Wine provides us with them and thus wine is 3D in Linux. AMD should be focusing Wine gaming compatibility.

Comment

I find it funny how Wine, for the purposes of this thread an emulator, is raised as the single most important app ever on the platform.

Fixing a Windows game via Wine is as much AMD's issue as is fixing Final Fantasy 9 on pcsx2 (or whatever the ps2 emulator is called).

Comment

To the END USER spinning cubes, solitaire and tux racer are NOT replacements for Cod:MW2, Assassin's Creed 2, Dead Space and other REAL 3D games. $PS3_EMU provides us with them and thus $PS3_EMU is 3D in Linux. AMD should be focusing $PS3_EMU gaming compatibility.
              Edited that for you. Do you see what that sounds like?

Comment

Me wonder why only 3 developers are working on the opensource driver. Me wonder why fglrx is being bent in the path where nvidia has gone for years. Me wonder why AMD cards do not work as good nvidia ones(or even better!).
                Me too. Well said.

Me wonder why so much people like to play via wine instead of having native games.
                Because games other than those run through wine suck.

And to my greatest surprise, I dont understand what windows users and proprietary lovers have forgot on linux/bsd forum. If you like proprietary, if you like wasting money on things totally unrelated to opensource progress, you are very well suited with virdows.
                But Im not looking for this answer in this thread, as it was originally devoted to discussion of amd hardware and drivers for the reason of improving what can be improved.
                Don't know about you but I see neither this nor that working correctly and will settle for one working option for now. Just something, anything that works. Or am I to get no use whatsoever out of my current card and 3 more cards and then get a working FOSS driver just to be philosophically correct?

Comment

A very amusing thread. AMD has good Linux support with their ATI drivers? Funny stuff.

There's only four people employed for FOSS drivers and they're looking for more support? Well, it's always a good indicator of support when the numbers are low and there's no more people available.

Brand new cards HD 6xxx cards are still not supported on amd web page and no open source support for those. Brand new Nvidia cards get same day support as soon as release or pretty close to it. Newest AMD/ATI cards were released a couple of months ago? HD 5xxx / Evergreen cards obviously aren't optimal in features after over a year they were released.

AMD really cares about supporting ATI cards in Linux so much that they let the customer deal with the 'unsupported hardware watermark' and make them go find the driver themselves.

Yeah, AMD provides great suport for the ATI cards!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr James View Post
                    Oh damn, what is wrong with you people? Wine is 3D in Linux. To the END USER spinning cubes, solitaire and tux racer are NOT replacements for Crysis, WOW, Tomb Raider and other REAL 3D games. Wine provides us with them and thus wine is 3D in Linux. AMD should be focusing Wine gaming compatibility.
                    You are confused.

A full Linux system offers a comprehensive set of libraries and APIs, including the OpenGL API with a number of accelerated hardware drivers implementing it.

If people instead write Windows games meant to run on Windows platform, this doesn't mean that a Linux implementation of Windows API is all of the sudden "3D in Linux". It just means that nobody is writing Linux games.

WOW, Tomb Raider and Crysis don't run on Linux. They are not Linux programs. They are Windows programs. They are not "3d on Linux". That's the problem.

Instead of AMD concentrating on Windows compatibility, I think that you should concentrate on Windows compatibility. By installing Windows

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                      A very amusing thread. AMD has good Linux support with their ATI drivers? Funny stuff.
                      Well, they have support for Linux which is not illegal, so it's a start. And most apps work just fine with them

I find it funny that you are still trolling on here. It is your mission in life to complain about AMD. You've been talking about buying a gfx card for a year now, and have written hundreds upon hundreds of posts about how hardware you do not even own does not work the way you think it should

Comment

Working...
                      X