Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 17 Is Still Trying For Btrfs By Default

Phoronix: Fedora 17 Is Still Trying For Btrfs By Default

The Fedora / Red Hat developers working on the Beefy Miracle are tentatively moving ahead with their plan to use Btrfs as the default Linux file-system for Fedora 17 and beyond...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

lets see now how good the redhat developer

Comment

lands in alpha
      That means feature freeze i.e today which is not going to happen so it is moved to F18.

Comment

Originally posted by drago01 View Post
        That means feature freeze i.e today which is not going to happen so it is moved to F18.
        for what he said they have two weeks from now soo ignore the feature freeze date.

you will know in two week

Comment

Originally posted by nir2142 View Post
          for what he said they have two weeks from now soo ignore the feature freeze date.

you will know in two week
          Not true.
          Read the chat logs (note I actually was present in this meeting) ... the whole discussion was about making it in time for the feature freeze (i.e today) after that F17 gets branched off and new stuff (like switching the default filesystem) will only be allowed in rawhide (the quote in the article might suggested something else but it was taken out of context).

Comment

Btrfs by default? Pfff. Even ext4 is a lot better than btrfs for general use. Maybe someday we'll all be using SSD drives... until then btrfs just sucks.

Comment

If Fedora is just going to symlink things together, why can't they go step farther and symlink /usr to the actual folder "/system"? Why keep the "usr" in the first place? "usr" doesn't even come close to describe what the folder is actually used for? You know... because "usr" looks like "user" (but user settings is saved at "/home". Wouldn't that make things more simpler to unserstand?

Why not just get rid of the old system and have:
              /system
              ----/bin
              ----/lib
              ----/sbin
              ----you guys get the idea...
              /config (instead of /etc)
              /user (instead of /home)

I'm just wondering why some say that the traditional Unix file heirachy is outdated (even though I agree with with that statement) but still want to use the same non-descriptive terms!

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
                Btrfs by default? Pfff. Even ext4 is a lot better than btrfs for general use. Maybe someday we'll all be using SSD drives... until then btrfs just sucks.
                Yes, but btrfs needs lots of testing, which is what Fedora is about. If Fedora and its users (=people willing to be beta testers) didn't exist, Linux software in general would be much more buggy.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
                  If Fedora is just going to symlink things together, why can't they go step farther and symlink /usr to the actual folder "/system"? Why keep the "usr" in the first place? "usr" doesn't even come close to describe what the folder is actually used for? You know... because "usr" looks like "user" (but user settings is saved at "/home". Wouldn't that make things more simpler to unserstand?
                  Because that would violate the FHS.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
                    User Shared or System Resources is what I get when I google that.

Though, that's not very intuitive to begin with, so meh.
                    Last edited by Edogaa; 08 February 2012, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X