Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
    Wait wait... Kernel 4.3 within around a year and a half? 0_o
    4.x is waaaaaaay down the road. Torvalds said they will change the name -which more or less means nothing- after 3.x series reaches 3.20.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      4.x is waaaaaaay down the road. Torvalds said they will change the name -which more or less means nothing- after 3.x series reaches 3.20.
      Good, I was worried I missed something .. xD

Comment

I hope Weston/Wayland starts faster than X. My Kernel and Userspace boot is just 1,3 seconds after that the screen goes dark when x server starts and that actually takes longer than the real bootup.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          Its the desktop guys that "hold it back" and some basic apps of course (ie. firefox). Hope that after the official release we'll see a full desktop in a few months time.
          Hopefully.

The major toolkits (GTK/QT) have been working on Wayland for a while now. And with it's compositor approach combined with a embedded X server it should already be compatible with all the applications you are using today. Early adopters shouldn't have much trouble using it in a few months, I expect.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            IMO modifying applications and its toolkits to look reasonable on retina displays is a more important goal.
            I don't think that trying to force applications to conform to Apple's marketing bullshit is really that high of a priority.

Plus, since most of Gnome and I suppose KDE uses vector-based graphics and X windows supports arbitrary DPI settings then it should look fine on higher resolution displays if properly configured. Not that most people actually know how to do that. Especially if they are using a desktop that makes it a pain in the ass to configure stuff; like XFCE.

PS. The secret to retina display is that they moved from 72 DPI to 144 DPI... which means that they took their icons and reduced the size they are shrunk by 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              I hope Weston/Wayland starts faster than X. My Kernel and Userspace boot is just 1,3 seconds after that the screen goes dark when x server starts and that actually takes longer than the real bootup.
              Wait what! X Windows started in under 5 seconds on my Pentium 133mhz, and under 2 on my current system.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
                Wait what! X Windows started in under 5 seconds on my Pentium 133mhz, and under 2 on my current system.
                I think Wayland can be started after KMS starts. In a systemd system where everything loads in parallel you can have it load quite early. Take that with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                  I don't think that trying to force applications to conform to Apple's marketing bullshit is really that high of a priority.

Plus, since most of Gnome and I suppose KDE uses vector-based graphics and X windows supports arbitrary DPI settings then it should look fine on higher resolution displays if properly configured. Not that most people actually know how to do that. Especially if they are using a desktop that makes it a pain in the ass to configure stuff; like XFCE.
                  Why are you guys talking about Apple? Several manufacturers have announced laptops with retina displays, eg Samsung: http://www.zdnet.com/samsung-shows-o...12-7000003588/
                  As of today only parts of a typical Linux GUI stack actually works with that many DPI without looking blurry.

PS: If you guys are bitching because I used the term ?retina display?, just go and die. No way I will ever use ?High Density Wide Quad High Definition display? (or something like that) to describe the same thing.

Comment

i think you should go and die then.
                    I use a so called retina display since a couple of years, for you see, my <13" laptop is 1920x1080 (oh yeah i just call it a high dpi display)
                    i just set the dpi of Xorg to 120 (yeah im not at 144, oh dear) and i'm happy.

there is one single app in those 2 years that don't behave and its chrome. and to use your language, fuck chrome. firefox's just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by balouba View Post
                      and i'm happy.
                      Good, thats the most important thing to us. Your happiness.

Comment

Working...
                      X