No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 11.04 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically unetbootin creates a syslinux.cfg which is not that much derived from the orginal isolinux.cfg which it could be. it also renames the kernel + initrd images. I prefer a different approach, but well some ppl like it some hate it... My scripts always formats the usb key, unetbootin can not format. Now to the official tool to create an U live stick: when you create a persistent stick on fat you can not create a huger FILE for persistent mode than 4gb (minus 1 byte). This also takes ages because there are not fat sparse files, i create just a 2nd partition with the max space possible in that case which is much faster. I just don't care about the data on the stick at all You find a collection of my scripts in irc.freenode.net/#kanotix with !usb (then !more). I supported even V/7 on usb key months before the official Win7 tool was out using syslinux+chain.c32. I have got even scripts for freedos on usb key, but well not linked there... If i need something i write it, i do not care at all about unetbootin or tools that require U live mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      You can be sure i have got my own scripts to partition a stick and put an iso on it (with or without persistence). I even wrote a script to convert the grub menu.lst from backtrack 4 to syslinux.cfg. But that has nothing to do with hybrid iso images.
      Will gladly wait for your script... . But you sure it will boot nicely? I've tried to manually create isohybrid image (ubuntu | partedmagic | etc..etc..), then partition it.. With no luck.

what I want to is:
      Code:
      +----------+--------------------+
      | ubuntu   | data               |
      +----------+--------------------+
      It's not the same with persistance. The 'data' partition is formatted with fat32 FS, so I can use it with windows too. So far, debian's the one that support this. I just boot my linux box, dd the img to ufd, then open gparted and partition it. Voila, I'm a happy debian user... err.. with their quite-not-good default settings..
      Oh, openSuSE isohybrid concept is quite good. U make a bootable usb with their ISO, then when you boot, the rest of your free space with claimed automatically by openSuSE. Mark it with ext3, IIRC. But then, it's not what I want.

Originally posted by Panix View Post
      When does Ubuntu fix bugs? Their priority is making things look pretty and changes that are totally different or unique to other distros.
      Bingo!

Originally posted by Panix View Post
      How come there is NO good applications for saving a live distro to a usb stick?

UNetbootin? No, it sucks. All the good ones are Windows-only, admit it. No one works on these applications or improves the current ones. I think the concept of booting up a live distro on a usb stick is great. A much nicer, more accurate experience than CD or DVD but the current status on using usb stick is so primitive.
      If only distros provide something like debian iso-hdd, or at least openSuSE's hybrid image, then I can day happily..

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      I agree that USB sticks are the way to go, but what is it that you don't like in UNetbootin? I've been using it for years and it does everything I need it to (give it a CD iso, make a bootable USB stick out of it). Ubuntu also offers a USB utility that works fine.
      The point is.. Why we must double our work to create a liveUSB if they can provide it out-of-the-iso? What do yo think the best, They make it with isohybrid, and the rest of world download and use it vs. They make standard iso, the rest of world download the iso then fire their UNetbootin (2x work)?

Comment

*will claimed
        *die happily

Comment

IMHO,
          Unity's good. The arrangement's good too.. Too bad big U is not rolling release .

Comment

Basically it is no good idea to store data on the 2nd partition if you want to use it with Windows. Windows only mounts the first partition (until you add a filter driver that only exists for 64 bit which disables the removeable flag). Also Win does not like iso9660 partitions on an usb key, it wants for format it. You can boot win7 or better the win pe part from a hybrid iso image (on usb), but you can not install it, because only pe works but does not find the install.wim as the iso9660/udf driver is not active for usb keys. So what you want to do is basically a bit stupid As nobody looked into my irc channel here are my scripts which support U as well (Kanotix of course too):

The first option is the iso, the 2nd is the device. The stick may not be mounted, also automounters are really bad, those should be disabled. Both scripts partition the stick with 1 mb alignment for best speed (similar to 4k hds/ssds). The 2nd script creates a casper-rw (for Kanotix/Debian live: live-rw) labeled partition and enables it using the persistent option. You can of course add an extra entry to boot without persistent option, i just don't do that automatically. Using an extra partition it is possible to add much more data than 4gb (fat32 restriction) in live mode - just up to the size of your usb key. The first partition is still fat32, if needed resize it with any common tool or change the script at the SIZE_MB line. I already add 10 mb free space to the size of the iso but feel free do adjust that to your own needs. The first script can be used for Win iso images as well...

Comment

Basically it is no good idea to store data on the 2nd partition if you want to use it with Windows. Windows only mounts the first partition (until you add a filter driver that only exists for 64 bit which disables the removeable flag). Also Win does not like iso9660 partitions on an usb key, it wants for format it. You can boot win7 or better the win pe part from a hybrid iso image (on usb), but you can not install it, because only pe works but does not find the install.wim as the iso9660/udf driver is not active for usb keys. So what you want to do is basically a bit stupid As nobody looked into my irc channel here are my scripts which support U as well (Kanotix of course too):

The first option is the iso, the 2nd is the device. The stick may not be mounted, also automounters are really bad, those should be disabled. Both scripts partition the stick with 1 mb alignment for best speed (similar to 4k hds/ssds). The 2nd script creates a casper-rw (for Kanotix/Debian live: live-rw) labeled partition and enables it using the persistent option. You can of course add an extra entry to boot without persistent option, i just don't do that automatically. Using an extra partition it is possible to add much more data than 4gb (fat32 restriction) in live mode - just up to the size of your usb key. The first partition is still fat32, if needed resize it with any common tool or change the script at the SIZE_MB line. I already add 10 mb free space to the size of the iso but feel free do adjust that to your own needs. The first script can be used for Win iso images as well...
              Yep, I know what u mean. I've done it before, make a ext2 on #1 partition and fat32 on #2 partition. Windows will surelly want to format it.. But not If the #1 partition is in unformated filesystem mode . When u dd debian usb-hdd image, then partition it, it wil become like this (u can try it):
              Code:
              +---------------+--------+
              | unformated fs | fat32  |
              | debian        | data   |
              +---------------+--------+
              Or we can said we just dd the img, then write/change our UFD MBR byte 446-512 that hold the information of number of partition, filesystem type, and the size of the partitions. And I absolutely don't want to use fat32 fs for my live-usb, cause when it infected by virus, it become harder to be cleaned (well, I AM lazy ). My last ubuntu live-usb is in ext2 fs (extlinux).

Thanks for the link (#1). But I'm afraid I won't use it. It create live-usb on fat32 fs, right? and the link (#2) for persistant data, but I want my data can be accessed from windows.

BTW, could you please provide a couple of screenshoot of kanotix. With that, IMHO it will attract more user .

Comment

Do any of these "distro off usb" even bother aligning?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Do any of these "distro off usb" even bother aligning?
                  Yes and.... Yes?

Comment

@deanjo

When you write 1:1 onto usb it does not matter as it is of course aligned. Mainly you can write faster when you use a stick with internal 4k sectors. When your write speed is extremely slow with an usb key you should try to repartition it. Do not use cfdisk, but gparted will do too (or just use my sfdisk code). For the first script you mainly just create the stick faster, but for the 2nd script which creates the 2nd partition which is rw mounted in live mode it is of course very important to think about that. Every write access would trigger the read/write of 2 not only 1 sector then. When soon as somebody told me the write of 3.5 gb data would need 30 min then i thought something must be going completely wrong...

Comment

@deanjo

When you write 1:1 onto usb it does not matter as it is of course aligned. Mainly you can write faster when you use a stick with internal 4k sectors. When your write speed is extremely slow with an usb key you should try to repartition it. Do not use cfdisk, but gparted will do too (or just use my sfdisk code). For the first script you mainly just create the stick faster, but for the 2nd script which creates the 2nd partition which is rw mounted in live mode it is of course very important to think about that. Every write access would trigger the read/write of 2 not only 1 sector then. When soon as somebody told me the write of 3.5 gb data would need 30 min then i thought something must be going completely wrong...
                      I don't know about that Kano. When I was benching aligning on USB thumbdrives over a year ago I did notice that USB thumb speeds were drastically slower when writing to a drive with a USB distro on it then a properly aligned drive. The benches are somewhere in these forums (good luck finding them with the search function however).

Comment

Working...
                      X