Why Mono Is Desirable For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
    WHERE are the Microsoft applications written in it?

WHY haven't they ported Word or Excel or IE or any other of their flagship programs?

Microsoft is CONSTANTLY pushing out patches to fix security issues in 20-year old C++ code.

You would THINK they would EAT THEIR OWN DOG FOOD and move to a more secure platform.

They fact that the HAVE NOT, is why you should RUN AWAY from the latest Microsoft programming "fad"

They sold "Active X" and "Silverlight" and "Visual Basic" as "solid professional application development environments, worthy of your development efforts" and then turned around and DEPRECATED THEM. They will DO THE SAME with C# and LEAVE YOU HIGH AND DRY.

If Microsoft doesn't trust C# with their PROFITABLE PRODUCTS then why should you? THEY know that C# is an another "fad"
    Actually many of the new software / platforms coming out are .NET based...
    Like the others said, re-writing everything from scratch is not happening overnight...
    That and also, for certain things, lower level languages are still the way to go (I'm thinking of Windows* here, Office probably could switch, but that would take years and years...).
    I guess you are just an angry developer falling out of his tree ha?

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
      I believe that the majority of the resistance to C# adoption has little to do with the language, and much to do with MS. I like C# as much as I like Java. It makes writing middleware logic a breeze to the point where I can write and navigate code as I think. I feel that java is more desirable for non-gui applications and .Net is more desirable for GUI applications. I would love to see the stability of the mono runtime improve a bit, as I have had a couple bad experiences in the enterprise.

The entire patent argument may be moot, but is part of a larger fear. The fear is that somehow MS will find a way to screw us. They have done so in the past, they will do so in the future. I cannot help but feel a hefty amount of paranoia every time I see C# running on linux. Its uncomfortable and I don't like it.

I hope the author is right. I hope mono does great things for the linux desktop. I hope MS doesn't pull another SCO or some new trick.

F
      As I said in another mono-related thread, I could very well see them using mono as a proxy for something else. Like they're using their "patent licensing agreements" with Android phone manufacturers, in order to put a price sticker on Linux.
      Their culture is still very much based on complete control of the IT industry. They could at best tolerate Linux as long as it remains a minority player on their cash-cow markets, while still managing to make a buck out of it.
      Not trustworthy at all. For a change to happen, there would be a need for major layouts of top-execs in redmond, to be replaced by people who understand that a company should compete solely on the grounds of products' merits (which pretty much bars hiring people from apple, intel and nvidia).

Comment

Are you asserting that Oracle has used these patents to sue other people, or might it be the case that Oracle is accumulating a war chest for defense?
        These are the specific patents used by Oracle in their filings for Oracle America, Inc. vs. Google, Inc.

Here's the court filing: http://ciaran.compsoc.com/35811761-O...fringement.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
          Actually many of the new software / platforms coming out are .NET based...
          Like the others said, re-writing everything from scratch is not happening overnight...
          That and also, for certain things, lower level languages are still the way to go (I'm thinking of Windows* here, Office probably could switch, but that would take years and years...).
          I guess you are just an angry developer falling out of his tree ha?
          "OVERNIGHT"

Somewhere above I read that C# was introduced in 2002!

Since when is 10 years "overnight" It did not take Microsoft 10 years to write Word or Excel.

And I thought these new development environments were supposed to make development EASIER and FASTER. You say it takes LONGER now???

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
            For a change to happen, there would be a need for major layouts of top-execs in redmond, to be replaced by people who understand that a company should compete solely on the grounds of products' merits (which pretty much bars hiring people from apple, intel and nvidia).
            On a per-department basis, this is the approach being taken.

For example, Hyper-V cannot compete with VMware unless it runs Linux - and runs it at least as well. Which is why Microsoft have been shipping kernel modules under a Free license. They're trying to win by offering a better product, and "can virtualize Linux fully out of the box" is a better product than "can virtualize Linux fully if you install some third party kernel modules ('Vmware Tools') which may or may not build on your kernel"

Comment

"OVERNIGHT"

Since when is 10 years "overnight" It did not take Microsoft 10 years to write Word or Excel.

Not at all! Word and Excel feature set grows larger with ever release. They will never be finished bwahahaa!

Comment

Originally posted by mateli View Post
                developers have produced optimized code that are as fast or faster than C++ code.
                no way in hell stop bullshitting.

the only way this is even remotely possible is to take the most barbaric form of crappy code a human being can code in C++ running on a pentium3 vs the most optimized java code ever seen running on a 10 cores Xeons <-- the same applies to mono/.NET and let skip memory consumption <-- mono/.NET fail miserably here too

i can believe mono[due to llvm] can be faster than crappy java code but thats is as far as im willing to believe without actual code to prove it

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  no way in hell stop bullshitting.

the only way this is even remotely possible is to take the most barbaric form of crappy code a human being can code in C++ running on a pentium3 vs the most optimized java code ever seen running on a 10 cores Xeons <-- the same applies to mono/.NET and let skip memory consumption <-- mono/.NET fail miserably here too

i can believe mono[due to llvm] can be faster than crappy java code but thats is as far as im willing to believe without actual code to prove it
                  Okay. Here's one example, off the first page of "Java beats C++ benchmark" on Google. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5...my-simple-test

There are lots of them.

A JITter can be very fast, y'know.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
                    Not at all! Word and Excel feature set grows larger with ever release. They will never be finished bwahahaa!
                    Since it's under continuous development and it's C++ code, it will continue to suffer from all those problems that Microsoft is trying to solve with .NET.

In other words Microsoft has learned NOTHING from years of experience. They still code their apps exactly the same way they did 25 years ago. All that stuff they tell us to do, they don't do it themselves. I wonder over and over again why anyone would purchase products from these people.

If Microsoft can't use its own development tools to maintain and improve their own products, I honestly can't see the merit in pushing these development tools on other people. Why would they be useful to me when they aren't even useful to Microsoft?

And then you can go to the node.js home page and read the GLOWING recommendation from MICROSOFT who says it's the best web development environment for their purposes. So a cobbled-together server program is WAY BETTER then THEIR OWN products. Says a LOT.
                    Last edited by frantaylor; 14 September 2012, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Better to use Java. Runs in more platforms and is faster. Linux fight to hard to have good opensource software, we should use it.

http://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&rc...3RaEIw&cad=rja

Comment

Working...
                      X