No announcement yet.

Radeon Gallium3D Still Long Shot From Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a serious inability on your part to participate in a reasonable discussion. I probably shouldn't bother responding, but I'll do it only once more given the lack of meaningful response.

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    "The GLSL compiler, for instance, is C++ which is a no-go for the kernel."

LOL there is no real GLSL compiler. you can rewrite this sad piece .
    the status for the GLSL compilers for the r600 are "Sad" and yes maybe we will never get a good VLIW compiler. this means its a death horse.
    The GLSL compiler, you know, the one that Intel wrote? http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/src/glsl

It's C++.

You're incorrectly thinking about the piece of r600g that translates some IR to hardware instructions.

"Then there's that you can't do floating-point operations in the kernel, which are obviously quite important for OpenGL."

you miss an important step in your argument why should this be a no go?

or do i have to ask linus ? LOL
    I can't tell if that's a particularly sad attempt to dodge a very real difficulty of moving user space code into the kernel, or if you actually don't understand.

I'll assume it's the latter and waste a bit more of my time explaining it to you.

From the kernel documentation (http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...g.tmpl;hb=HEAD)

Code:
    No floating point or MMX
          The FPU context is not saved; even in user
          context the FPU state probably won't
          correspond with the current process: you would mess with some
          user process' FPU state.  If you really want
          to do this, you would have to explicitly save/restore the full
          FPU state (and avoid context switches).  It
          is generally a bad idea; use fixed point arithmetic first.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      for the next generation we are starting sufficiently early that we should be able to hide both development and review in the pre-launch window where it doesn't impact users or community developers
      You mean top-GPU in 8xxx series? Or something beyond?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        You mean top-GPU in 8xxx series? Or something beyond?
        Correct, assuming we stay with the HD <gen>xxx model. Sea Islands and the 2013 APUs on the latest roadmap :

i don't care about intel shit in an AMD tropic. the solution is easy just put the intel shit into the garbage. we need a AMD/VLIW compiler ! and not a intel JOKE. the intel compiler is not VLIW ! you only get 1/5 of the speed with amd hardware this is just an FUD attack from intel on AMD!
        Q, the GLSL compiler is up in the Mesa common layer and is used by all GPU hardware, not just Intel. It takes GLSL (and GL assembler IIRC), converts it to GLSL IR, which is then optionally converted to TGSI or Mesa IR if that's what the hardware driver accepts (radeon and nouveau take TGSI since they use a Gallium3D layer).

The IR passed down uses short vectors for pixel and coordinate data, which can be converted efficiently to VLIW in the hardware layer. Scalar variables in the GLSL program are passed down to the hardware layer as scalars, and that's where VLIW hardware needs a fancier compiler in the HW driver layer to maximize efficiency.

Anyways, it's in no way an "Intel compiler", except to the extent that the Intel devs were nice enough to take on the task of writing it.
        Last edited by bridgman; 25 March 2012, 07:36 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

its sooooo simple: if c++ is a no go for the kernel then you have to rewrite it to push ALL the graphic stuff into the kernel.

sure the other way is: give a fuck about linux(opensource) and spend all the "linux" money on closed source "Android"

in my point of view android is just another excuse to not support linux on "Desktop"

next time microsoft start there own linux version with directX and FUD and then they hurt linux from the inside.. LOL...
          Step back a minute... with every response you make the work required to move userspace drivers into the kernel is going up, but the benefits are staying the same (or going down because of the diversion of existing developers). This isn't looking good.

The term "give a f*ck" in English actually means "caring", I think the term you're looking for is "don't give a f*ck".

You're confusing me with the "Android is an excuse" comment. 30 posts ago you said that Android was Linux and therefore its market share should be counted as Linux. Now you're saying that working on Android is just an excuse not to support Linux on the desktop ?

I don't understand the MS comment.
          Last edited by bridgman; 25 March 2012, 08:52 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

We have also recently added two experienced developers (three actually, but since one was replacing Richard I'm only counting two) who IMO are and will be as productive or more over the next year or so than a half dozen developers hired and brought up to speed on the job. Just a thought...
            Out of curiosity, did you guys consider to make something like GSoC for developing some features of the driver? IMO it's very interesting idea to pay a developer to improve, e.g., power management.

Comment

Sigh, another thread going down the drain.

mats88, bridgman please don't feed the troll, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakot View Post
                Out of curiosity, did you guys consider to make something like GSoC for developing some features of the driver? IMO it's very interesting idea to pay a developer to improve, e.g., power management.
                I will support GSoc for Radeons too.

Comment

You're confusing me with the "Android is an excuse" comment. 30 posts ago you said that Android was Linux and therefore its market share should be counted as Linux. Now you're saying that working on Android is just an excuse not to support Linux on the desktop ?

I don't understand the MS comment.

Click on his name on the left side, then click on "Ignore". The result will be something that resembles a linux related web-forum.

No need to thank me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakot View Post
                    Anyone is welcome to submit any idea as a GSOC or xorg EVOC project. As long as the proposal is well thought out and covers a reasonable amount of work, in most cases it will be accepted.

Comment

While GSoC is useful,unfortunately there seems to be a bunch of unfinished projects/tasks or unimplemented features happening with it. As the owner of much AMD/ATI tech over the years (Windows and Linux), drivers have always been an issue. I can't help but watch kickstart helping get games off the ground (Wasteland 2) and not get the idea that Linux users have deep pockets when it comes to getting something for their beloved OS. I would love to donate to bring up the quality of the binary and oss drivers to Linux/BSD. As a dedicated Linux user I continue to buy AMD recently a A83870k so don't make me sorry for supporting you!

Comment

Working...
                      X