Systemd's Plan For Stateless Systems, Factory Resets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
    You must be on drugs, pal. The last thing I want on my desktop (let alone on my servers) is an Android-wannabe pseudo-OS.
    If we are to be pals, you should know that I'm the last person to be on drugs.

Not everything of course. Mainly, seperating the system and user data and more efficient and powerful interprocess communication. I doubt anyone who does low level Linux Desktop stuff wants to copy Android verbatim. Considering that even Google has an alternative OS for desktop usage (Chrome OS)
    Last edited by CTown; 20 June 2014, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
      Considering that even Google has an alternative OS for desktop usage (Chrome OS)
      I wouldn't call it an alternative and I wouldn't call it desktop usage.

---

Well, at least it's getting clearer why systemd has so many apologists and what sort of people they are. The same sort as those who praise Ubuntu Unity and other "single-task" desktop UIs.

Tablet people. iThings generation.

Comment

The last thing I want on my desktop (let alone on my servers) is an Android-wannabe pseudo-OS.
        Ah yes, just like replacing a script-based init system with a service supervisor turns Linux exactly into Windows (something you've said in a previous post), adding app sandboxing turns Linux exactly into Android. Err...

FFS prodigy_ get at least a bit more sophisticated with what you write. This is beyond ridiculous.

Well, at least it's getting clearer why systemd has so many apologists and what sort of people they are. The same sort as those who praise Ubuntu Unity and other "single-task" desktop UIs.

And here we go with the ad-hominems,.

Just FYI, I can't stand Ubuntu Unity or Gnome3, I use a classic desktop with a boring old panel at the bottom and an old-school hierarchical menu (none of that new fancy fullscreen big icon stuff), basically the Win95 concept, except with a better looking theme. I will also not own a tablet, least of all an Apple one, but not even an Android one. Too restricting. A netbook is what I have, and should I get to replacing it, it'll be another netbook (yes, they do still exist).

And yet I'm here, being a supposed "apologist" for systemd <- that in itself is a ridiculous thing to say, systemd doesn't have or need "apologists", there's just people who, instead of spewing conspiracy theories, are actually discussing the technical merits of systemd.

PS. prodigy_ won't see this. He can't handle being called out on the ridiculousness of his posts, he put me on ignore. Because that's the sure fire way to win an argument! But I wrote this post anyway, for others to see. Maybe I suffer from a bit of this

Comment

I wouldn't call it an alternative and I wouldn't call it desktop usage.

---

Here's a clue as to why none of your arguments hold any water with anyone: you're a complete and utter moron and they don't make any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
            PS. prodigy_ won't see this. He can't handle being called out on the ridiculousness of his posts, he put me on ignore. Because that's the sure fire way to win an argument! But I wrote this post anyway, for others to see. Maybe I suffer from a bit of this
            I want to think he's a troll, I really do, but then I'm well aware of so many other groups of people who hold to their bullshit beliefs and refuse to be called on them that it seems possible someone that blinded by ideology could come from the open source world...

Anti-Vaxxers
            Fundamentalist Christians/Muslims/Whatever
            Homoeopaths
            GM Nutters

Could go on.

Comment

So, you think essentially every desktop environment and distro maintainer falls in this category? LXQt, XFCE, openSUSE, ArchLinux, this is what you think they all are?

Comment

psychoticmeow: It is completely fine to call out bullshit arguments, but don't make it personal. Personal attacks does not benefit the discussion, the person under attack, or you.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnor View Post
                  psychoticmeow: It is completely fine to call out bullshit arguments, but don't make it personal. Personal attacks does not benefit the discussion, the person under attack, or you.
                  I doubt anything can benefit discussions with prodigy. I wouldn't really call them "discussions" anyway. He's on my ignore list, and my life certainly has improved since, but sadly people keep quoting him :/

Comment

Originally posted by jonnor View Post
                    He's not wrong because he's a moron, he's wrong because his arguments don't make any sense. Or in other words: I'm perfectly capable of arguing without insulting anyone, but prodigy isn't capable of making an coherent argument.

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                    I doubt anything can benefit discussions with prodigy. I wouldn't really call them "discussions" anyway. He's on my ignore list, and my life certainly has improved since, but sadly people keep quoting him :/
                    Sorry :S

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      So, you think essentially every desktop environment and distro maintainer falls in this category? LXQt, XFCE, openSUSE, ArchLinux, this is what you think they all are?
                      Ever heard of coercion? And no it doesn't mean someone is literally holding a knife to your throat. There are other, much more subtle ways. Systemd is about forcing dependencies and limiting choices as much as possible and in the end distro/software maintainers are affected by this behavior in the same way as regular users. You can't just fork everything even if you know C as the back of your hand.

---

And since people keep asking what's wrong with systemd (although it's been explained over and over) - here's a nice list of most important issues:

It's by no means comprehensive but it won't take much time to read and is straight to the point. I'm not the author but I'd sign under every word.
                      Last edited by prodigy_; 20 June 2014, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X