Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 14.4 On Linux With Radeon R3 APU Graphics

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 14.4 On Linux With Radeon R3 APU Graphics

Tested yesterday at Phoronix was the AMD Catalyst 14.4 Linux performance where several newer, high-end graphics cards were tested from a Core i7 Haswell system. With that hardware, there was little in the way of OpenGL performance changes except for a couple of tests. Several Phoronix readers expressed interest in Catalyst 14.4 AMD AM1 APU tests in seeing if there are any improvements for the new APUs with Radeon R3 Graphics or performance improvements in general out of Catalyst 14.4 for reduced OpenGL overhead on lower-end processors. In this article are Catalyst 14.3 vs. 14.4 Ubuntu Linux benchmarks with an AMD Athlon 5350.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I honestly want to see more Intel Iris 5200 graphics benchmarks thrown in. That thing is a beast, and would put shame to the Radeon HD 8400.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      I honestly want to see more Intel Iris 5200 graphics benchmarks thrown in. That thing is a beast, and would put shame to the Radeon HD 8400.
      If only I had a 5200 system...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

A system with that chip(excluding memory and storage) costs twice as much as a potential AM1 PC(with memory and storage). Not to mention that it probably has higher power consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          If only I had a 5200 system...
          To both Michael and the original poster, I heard that with Broadwell the "Iris Pro" (aka eDRAM) tech is coming to desktop processors to help compete with AMD APU's. So benchmarks might be possible then, price allowing.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

What is the lowest price for the CPU with Iris Pro 5200? i5-4570R maybe? That is not anywhere near 50 ? pricetag, nor wattage usage of Athlon 5350... i5-4570R maybe i think is nearly comparabile with A10-7850K with performace per watt/cost . A10-7850K need more watts - but cost less, i5-4570R slighly better performant and need less watts - but costs more .

Comment

nops

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              What is the lowest price for the CPU with Iris Pro 5200? i5-4570R maybe? That is not anywhere near 50 ? pricetag, nor wattage usage of Athlon 5350... i5-4570R maybe i think is nearly comparabile with A10-7850K with performace per watt/cost . A10-7850K need more watts - but cost less, i5-4570R slighly better performant and need less watts - but costs more .
              intel hd 5200 only exist in few mobile cpus.. is the best igpu in the market but to expensive

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                intel hd 5200 only exist in few mobile cpus.. is the best igpu in the market but to expensive
                I heard that there will be some i7 and i5 Broadwell-K based for desktop and those will carry Iris 5200 .

Current-generation Intel Core i7-4770K and Core i5-4670K microprocessors feature Intel HD Graphics 4600 (20 execution units at up to 1.25GHz) with moderate performance. Highest-performing Iris Graphics Pro 5200 (40 execution units with on-package eDRAM cache memory) graphics engine is found only on select CPUs designed for laptops and all-in-one desktops.

By contrast, next-generation Intel Core i7 “K” and Core i5 “K” chips that will belong to Broadwell-K generation will feature fully-fledged Iris Graphics Pro with high number of execution units with 128MB on-package eDRAM cache memory to boost graphics performance.

Comment

In games where CPU power is more important than GPU it's true that 5200 offer the best performance in iGPU world, but for a games required more GPU power a Kaveri is faster. In most of the game benchmarks A10-7850K offers better performance than Intel units with HD5200.

Comment

Even then, I think only macbooks have them. Which is extremely off putting.

Comment

Working...
                    X