Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel Has 20~30 Full-Time Linux Graphics Developers
    Good thing.

He also made it clear that they are looking to hire even more developers.
    Even better news since suppose an interest on the Linux platform.

Intel OTC also employs several developers to work on Wayland/Weston.
    Interesting but even on older Cpu? Or from sandy-bridge and follow? I speak about the future Wayland support.
    Last edited by alelinuxbsd; 12 February 2013, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
      How many games require a version of OpenGL higher than 3.0? I can play Tesseract on nouveau, radeon or intel drivers just fine (it runs with no rendering glitches, though it is slow).
      I think you're confusing cause and effect, if you're writing an open source game you want it to run on open source drivers which means limiting yourself to OpenGL 3.0. If you are writing a closed source game to sell it must work on most Linux computers so you must limit yourself to OpenGL 3.0. Hardware, drivers and games must all move forward together, or each can say:

"There is no point in OpenGL 4 hardware, there is no drivers or games for it"
      "There is no point supporting OpenGL 4, there is no hardware and no games for it"
      "There is no point writing OpenGL 4 games, there is no hardware or drivers for it."

I heard the same logic with OpenGL 2.1, since nothing uses more than OpenGL 2.1 then OpenGL 3.0+ support is not important. It is stupid and wrong.

Comment

How about installed base? If you target 2.1, you can get 99% of active installed base, if 3.0, 80%, if 4.0, 15%. Numbers pulled out of ass to present the point, but their magnitudes should be around that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjella View Post
          I think you're confusing cause and effect, if you're writing an open source game you want it to run on open source drivers which means limiting yourself to OpenGL 3.0. If you are writing a closed source game to sell it must work on most Linux computers so you must limit yourself to OpenGL 3.0. Hardware, drivers and games must all move forward together, or each can say:

"There is no point in OpenGL 4 hardware, there is no drivers or games for it"
          "There is no point supporting OpenGL 4, there is no hardware and no games for it"
          "There is no point writing OpenGL 4 games, there is no hardware or drivers for it."

I heard the same logic with OpenGL 2.1, since nothing uses more than OpenGL 2.1 then OpenGL 3.0+ support is not important. It is stupid and wrong.
          I agree. I am contributing to a game which has had an OpenGL 3.3 renderer for about two years now, but kept GL2 code for mesa, older drivers and hardware, which I'd be more than happy to see go away to reduce maintenance burden.

So yeah, software(drivers) and hardware support is what is holding back games from using the latest APIs.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
            I agree. I am contributing to a game which has had an OpenGL 3.3 renderer for about two years now, but kept GL2 code for mesa, older drivers and hardware, which I'd be more than happy to see go away to reduce maintenance burden.

So yeah, software(drivers) and hardware support is what is holding back games from using the latest APIs.
            Do you have stats showing how many players you would lose if you did that? Ie all playing with non-3.3 hw.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Do you have stats showing how many players you would lose if you did that? Ie all playing with non-3.3 hw.
              Not really. The downloads are dominated by Windows users obviously. But there are also some OS X (OpenGL 3.2) and Linux (Blobs: OpenGL 4.3, Mesa: OpenGL 3.0) users.

Edit:
              About HW, I think pretty much anything back to 2007 should be able to support OpenGL 3.3.
              Last edited by log0; 05 September 2013, 06:51 AM.

Comment

You didn't mention which game you work on, so perhaps you have more of a "gamer" audience. But six years old as a line would cut many more casual gamers out.

Comment

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
                  then why are serveral games in the ubuntu software center officially not compatible with intel graphics hardware? are the chips really *that* low-end?
                  Integrated graphics are *that* low end, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by ACiD View Post
                    Integrated graphics are *that* low end, yes.
                    Well 10 years ago, they were really really really shitty.
                    They were so shitty they were useless.
                    You did as much as scroll and it would flicker and lag and slow down.

Modern integrated graphics are getting decent, and now supports hardware accelerated video playback, composited desktops and can also play many games, especially older games.

Before whether you were a gamer or not, didn't matter, you pretty much needed a graphics card anyway.
                    Nowadays most people (except gamers) can get away without any dedicated graphics card.

AMD also have better integrated graphics than Intel.

Comment

While i am glad to see that many people working on Linux drivers, i cannot do but wonder where is the results? The open gl support is lacking and the performance is poor in their driver. And we all know it certainly is not the Linux kernel that has the problems with performing.

Comment

Working...
                      X