Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XBMC 11.0 Eden Brings Many Multimedia Changes

Phoronix: XBMC 11.0 Eden Brings Many Multimedia Changes

XBMC, the very well known open-source multimedia / HTPC project, has finally reached its XBMC 11.0 (codenamed "Eden") milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The real question is "what features does XBMC still not have?" For instance, does it still not support OpenGL 3.x, 4.x, D3D11, advanced shader effects, OSS or encrypted QuickTime streams?

Comment

What would DX11/GL4 gain you in a media player?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        The real question is "what features does XBMC still not have?" For instance, does it still not support OpenGL 3.x, 4.x, D3D11, advanced shader effects, OSS or encrypted QuickTime streams?
        XBMC for FreeBSD has experimental OSS support since 11rc1 . I have no idea whether this work is also being done for Linux (but I see not why you would care for OSS on Linux).

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          What would DX11/GL4 gain you in a media player?
          For one, it would no longer allow certain hardware/driver combinations to work!

Lowest common opengl version would be prefered. I think the only reason they req. OpenGL 2 back in the day was because of certain shader technoligy they wanted/needed.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            The biggest ones people complain about are a lack of live TV/PVR support ala MythTV, and a lack of support for newer digital audio formats (specifically DTS-HD)

Comment

I think you can set it up via vdr amongst others.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
                I think you can set it up via vdr amongst others.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...tch_TV_in_XBMC
                That's using a development branch, not the main release.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
                  The biggest ones people complain about are a lack of live TV/PVR support ala MythTV, and a lack of support for newer digital audio formats (specifically DTS-HD)
                  And an integrated web browser! That's the feature I'm missing the most.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
                    That's using a development branch, not the main release.
                    Indeed, although corresponding builds are quite well available. One which is particularly well related to this forum is the xvba+pvr version.

What I find most lacking though is proper support for timeshifting. In the end I turned back to mythtv which looks not nearly as polished and as a distinctly sucking music player, but which handles TV (live and recorded) much better and more intuitively. I found mythtv also to be much more stable, but that may have been due to the fact that I was working with cutting edge devel versions of xbmc only.

Comment

Working...
                    X