Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Begins Pushing "Merrifield" Linux Patches

Phoronix: Intel Begins Pushing "Merrifield" Linux Patches

In the preceding days Intel has begun making public a number of Linux kernel patches for supporting their yet-to-be-released Merrifield chip...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still has IMG graphics though...

As the title says...so it may not be super-fun for Linux folks.

Comment

Getting a decently powerful x86 chip in a phone would certainly do a lot to further the vision of Canonical and others to facilitate some regular-ol' desktop computing from a tiny handheld. I'm sure you could run plenty of useful design applications on existing ARM phones given hardware acceleration.

I'm looking forward to something like this, although for most users an Intel handheld isn't going to be a big deal. But being a big fan of MIDs back in the pre-Android days, I still find the concept appealing.

Given what kinds of crazy productivity apps have been bleeding into common use on smartphones, I'm surprised we haven't returned to that concept. I hope Intel facilitates some sort of innovation beyond the usual battery life concerns with its partners.

Comment

I wouldn't care very much on a phone, but an x86 tablet with decent battery life might be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by intelmatt View Post
          Somebody knows when we will see an Intel phone CPU with Intel graphics?
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            YES! THIS is what I want! I've been thinking about this question many times - where are the Intel phones with Intel GPUs? I was hoping there would actually be phones with Valleyview/Baytrail - I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

So far I have heard of actual phones with Intel Atom CPU's, but no (actual) Intel GPU yet. We wait patiently. Also, I still await Intel dedicated GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by intelmatt View Post
              Is it confirmed merrifield will have a PowerVR GPU? I've heard rumors (mostly at Anandtech) but nothing concrete. I was hoping merrifield would be a dual core version of the baytrail SoC with an LTE antenna but I guess it may not be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                Motorola have already released something like that.
                It's in the RAZR series

Comment

Working...
                X