Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 13.04 Will Improve Gaming On Open-Source GPU Drivers

Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.04 Will Improve Gaming On Open-Source GPU Drivers

While still a ways from being comparable to the proprietary graphics drivers in terms of features and OpenGL performance, the open-source GPU drivers found by default in the forthcoming Ubuntu 13.04 release are a big improvement over the out-of-the-box graphics drivers found in earlier Ubuntu Linux releases. The Ubuntu desktop is also faster thanks to improvements to its Unity desktop environment and Compiz compositing window manager. In this article are Linux gaming benchmarks looking at the performance of Fedora 17, Fedora 18, Ubuntu 12.10, and a preliminary Ubuntu 13.04 development snapshot. In this first article, the OpenGL performance of Intel and Radeon graphics are being benchmarked.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, why are you testing with Nexuiz but not Team Fortress 2?

Comment

720p and 1080p are the actual 16:9 resolutions please use them

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      You should have added the performance of the official fglrx. I understand that 13.04 is faster than older releases, but is it on par with fglrx? I don't think so.
      I do agree benchmarking is to compare, and not only fglrx, in this case fglrx and legacy fglrx.

Also 720p and 1080p are the actual 16:9 resolutions used to play. CRT 4:3 good monitors ar still better for gaming, but most of them are now dead.

With Steam here in Linux I would add some Steam games at 720p / 1080p with Radeon + fglrx + legacy fglrx / 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000-and 8000 cards / nouveau + nvidia + nvidia legacy, and a range of models / intel 3000 and 4000

And from any modern games pool from Steam make with Steam help, and they will want to, a Steam Linux test - they already have one - with a 100 base for a standard machine as any Mac model with Linux installed.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        You should have added the performance of the official fglrx. I understand that 13.04 is faster than older releases, but is it on par with fglrx? I don't think so.
        Why would it matter unless at least testing with full OpeGL3.3 in Gallium3D?

Then at least it's a matter of driver performance since the GL feature set on both drivers will be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
          Michael, why are you testing with Nexuiz but not Team Fortress 2?
          Because Steam for Linux is still in Beta, as well as all games that you can get throug it.

NO BENCHMARKING is one of limitations.

And its sound thing to do. Wrong (as in poor methodology or as in poor timing) benchmark results may spoil Valve efforts.
          For benchmarks wait till Valve deam Steam For Linux ready for prime time.

(Oh, and I do hope that Valve will cook up some PTS benchmark suits for its free products!)

Comment

"Ubuntu 13.04 Will Improve Gaming On Open-Source GPU Drivers" might lead one to believe that Ubuntu/Canonical is doing something useful for the open-source community as a whole, when in reality, they're only fixing things that were less than optimal in their Unity desktop.
            The title should be more like "Ubuntu 13.04 Will Improve Its Gaming On Open-Source GPU Drivers"

Comment

Would it be possible for a benchmark constrasting Linux and Windows 7/8? Mostly referring to Steam games I suppose.

That could be very intresting...

Comment

Working...
              X