No announcement yet.

What is the best nvidia gpu for gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can always go back to AMD if the drivers ever become good. I waited for years in a state of "in just three months from now the drivers will be awesome". Then I bought an NVidia and drivers were awesome in about 2 minutes (time it took to install them and reboot.) That was a year ago. If I hadn't done that, I'd *still* be waiting for those mythical "good" drivers for Radeon cards.

Life is short and there's more important things in the world than open source. Like being able to enjoy your work and your hobbies.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      recommending someone to buy a graphics card and hoping the driver will be stable soon is ridiculous
      Save yourself some pain and get an Nvidia card.
      No. You miss details. Devil is in details.
      Nvidia and AMD cards are totally different league on Linux.

You will have to wait ~6 years till nouveau is usable on 6xx cards.
      In several months GCN will be usable. Compare time between Evergreen got advertised and when it become usable with opensource. It required about one year.
      AMD opensource driver performance is increasing each year, regardless of card.

So, if you are for opensource drivers - you can forget Nvidia.
      If you are ok with closed source, Nvidia is arguably still best.

But then again. If you look at recent changes in Kepler architecture, Nvidia migrate scheduler into the driver. This reduces the chance they will opensource even more.
      They are also, becoming more and more "gamer cards". AMD is more "generic" card - compare Luxmark performance for example.

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Life is short and there's more important things in the world than open source. Like being able to enjoy your work and your hobbies.
      Mr Balmer, please re-login.
      Last edited by brosis; 07 May 2013, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        If it's made by EVGA, note that you can trade it up for a 700 series when they come out and only pay the difference. Look up their trade-up program.
        That sounds like a pretty sweet deal! But in my Country I don't think there are EVGA products for sale, I went with the asus dc2 top, which has a very decent and quiet cooler and the biggest factory "overclock", because I'm not sure if this card could be overclocked under linux...last time I did that was was with a very ancient AGP card and if i remember correctly i had to enable "coolbits" or something like that.

The other 2 gpu's I will keep them, actually one already upgraded another system that i have that was running a geforce 210

Comment

Originally posted by marco26 View Post
          That sounds like a pretty sweet deal! But in my Country I don't think there are EVGA products for sale, I went with the asus dc2 top, which has a very decent and quiet cooler and the biggest factory "overclock", because I'm not sure if this card could be overclocked under linux...last time I did that was was with a very ancient AGP card and if i remember correctly i had to enable "coolbits" or something like that.

The other 2 gpu's I will keep them, actually one already upgraded another system that i have that was running a geforce 210
          Nvidia stripped coolbits from 4xx and up in Linux.
          Rovclock should be able to overclock a radeon, on the other hand.

Speaking of low-end cards, today you better use AMD+radeon on them. In several months hopefully VDPAU will be polished, then there is simply no reason to use anything nvidia in that segment.

Comment

Do you work for AMD?

Just asking because i have this pretty cool gpu, wich is a hd3850 AGP, but it seems amd never release drivers for it
            Last edited by marco26; 07 May 2013, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marco26 View Post
              Do you work for AMD?

Just asking because i have this pretty cool gpu, wich is a hd3850 AGP, but it seems amd never release drivers for it
              No.
              I had burned Mobile X1900 recently, probably because its previous owned hardly cared to replace thermal pads and prevent hardware overheat... "reballing" etc.
              I wait for Mobile 3870, I am pretty sure radeon driver will work just fine with this mobile card. So radeon should work with 3850 discrete as well.

If you mean catalyst.. I can't say anything - I don't take catalyst as anything "serious".

If you plan to sell this card, beware that you can set pretty good price now - probably at least around 60$. Because its one of the best AGPs, some people still have AGP.
              Or you can donate the card to radeon developer. Better ask on IRC if they need it.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                No. You miss details. Devil is in details.
                Nvidia and AMD cards are totally different league on Linux.

You will have to wait ~6 years till nouveau is usable on 6xx cards.
                In several months GCN will be usable. Compare time between Evergreen got advertised and when it become usable with opensource. It required about one year.
                AMD opensource driver performance is increasing each year, regardless of card.

So, if you are for opensource drivers - you can forget Nvidia.
                If you are ok with closed source, Nvidia is arguably still best.

But then again. If you look at recent changes in Kepler architecture, Nvidia migrate scheduler into the driver. This reduces the chance they will opensource even more.
                They are also, becoming more and more "gamer cards". AMD is more "generic" card - compare Luxmark performance for example.

Mr Balmer, please re-login.
                Expecting people to use opensource drivers when they're asking about which gaming-tier graphics card they're going to buy is hilarious, FYI.

Comment

Expecting people to use opensource drivers when they're asking about which gaming-tier graphics card they're going to buy is hilarious, FYI.
                  Lets see..
                  OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Unigine Heaven
                  Catalyst 5750: 20.63 fps
                  Mesa w Vadims ShaderOptimizer 5750: 23.04 fps
                  ----
                  Unigine Sanctuary
                  Catalyst 5750: 51.12 fps
                  Mesa w Vadims ShaderOptimizer 5750: 35.25 fps
                  ----
                  Unigine Tropics
                  Catalyst 5750: 44.51 fps
                  Mesa w Vadims ShaderOptimizer 5750: 35.06 fps

On all tests, the mid-low 5750/opensource drivers performed close to 9800GTX/nvidia blob.
                  According to Gpuboss, they are equal performance-wise.

The most hilarious part is that you are laughing alone, FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                    According to Gpuboss, they are equal performance-wise.
                    They are wrong

But hey, if you were trying to prove that OSS AMD drivers can make a graphics card perform as well as another graphics card that is 2 years older which is a rebrand+dye shrink of an even older(8800GT) card, then... ok?
                    AMD definitely wins at beating Nvidia cards that are 3 years older than them then.

Comment

They are wrong

But hey, if you were trying to prove that OSS AMD drivers can make a graphics card perform as well as another graphics card that is 2 years older which is a rebrand+dye shrink of an even older(8800GT) card, then... ok?
                      AMD definitely wins at beating Nvidia cards that are 3 years older than them then.
                      "They"
                      invalid link

"are wrong"
                      this result was already collected by Gpuboss

"But hey, if you were trying to prove that OSS AMD drivers can make a graphics card perform as well as another graphics card that is 2 years older which is a rebrand+dye shrink of an even older(8800GT) card, then... ok?"
                      Can you provide proof for your own illogical claim here?
                      Because card age plays no role, only performance matters, and I was not comparing AMD vs Nvidia here.
                      Also, AMDs Evegreen, Nvidias G80 and Fermi/Kepler cards have completely different design - so its useless to claim anything like "make a graphics card perform as well as another graphics card". What we can do, is to compare a reduced set of graphically intensive tests.

I claimed that:
                      "On all tests, the mid-low 5750/opensource drivers performed close to 9800GTX/nvidia blob."
                      Which is true for all these three tests.
                      Even if 9800GTX is way weaker chip than 5750, in this specific tests it was producing comparable performance.
                      What is this to proof, is that AMD opensource driver already possesses abilities to drive a gaming card efficiently, on par with fglrx driver.

This proof nullifies your claim:
                      And shows to OP that radeon is a strong opensource alternative to fglrx.

Nvidia doesn't have anything like this, only blob.

Meanwhile, here is a nice read why Nvidia has stripped overclocking/coolbits from Linux. (TIP: they give a f&ck about nvidia fanbois.)
                      They also have crippled one OpenGL extension in their drivers per software, breaking a lot of programs, just because they though you should pay for Quadro to be allowed to use that.

Comment

Working...
                      X