No announcement yet.

Solaris 12 Might Finally Bring Radeon KMS Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

of course it is. linux devs are hackers at heart. which means technologically backwards solutions and ductaping. solaris devs are highly paid full time workers, giving them a clear direction. still, solaris is rubbish on anything but servers, whereas linux is usable on a wider variety of things.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
      of course it is. linux devs are hackers at heart. which means technologically backwards solutions and ductaping. solaris devs are highly paid full time workers, giving them a clear direction. still, solaris is rubbish on anything but servers, whereas linux is usable on a wider variety of things.
      Are you saying that Solaris is better than Linux on servers?

Comment

Why someone tries to reincarnate a dead cow slowlaris? Is there anyone who wants to run it on a desktop? OMG!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OpenSLOWlaris
          Oh no, the (slow)laris troll is back.

I thought kraftman would have taught you a lesson by now but it seems you'll never learn.
          Why are you talking about Kraftman? It was a long time (at least a year) I was logged in here, just check my activity. I dont remember all I talked to, but you do. How can you remember year old konversations I had? The only conclusion is that you are Kraftman. Hello, Kraftman! Long time, no see. Why did you get another account? Why do you not continue your old nickname "Kraftman"?

Dont you think it was a interesting blog post by Con Kolivas? That he is ashamed over the Linux code quality, when he compared it to Solaris source code? That Solaris source code is so much better? That Linux scheduler is "about to explode" and "held with duct tape"?

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
            Why are you talking about Kraftman? It was a long time (at least a year) I was logged in here, just check my activity. I dont remember all I talked to, but you do. How can you remember year old konversations I had? The only conclusion is that you are Kraftman. Hello, Kraftman! Long time, no see. Why did you get another account? Why do you not continue your old nickname "Kraftman"?

Dont you think it was a interesting blog post by Con Kolivas? That he is ashamed over the Linux code quality, when he compared it to Solaris source code? That Solaris source code is so much better? That Linux scheduler is "about to explode" and "held with duct tape"?
            I explained you thing about Con and he can be easily ignored. The truth is slowlaris is dead. Dead code can't be good, can it?

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
              ...The truth is slowlaris is dead....
              That is the Kraftman I know! Good boy! He always said that very phrase! And when I asked him for any links, he never gave any. Just like you. You will never show us links on this. You speak like Kraftman, you say exactly the same wordings, and you behave like him (never show links and lie). So, Hello Kraftman. Why dont you use your old account instead of this new one?

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                Why someone tries to reincarnate a dead cow slowlaris? Is there anyone who wants to run it on a desktop? OMG!!!
                Umm ... actually I do ... on a laptop.

Mostly it's because it's an environment that I know very well, partly it's down to the network stack on Solaris being, for me, more configurable, and partly it's down to stability ...

When I got the laptop I did spec it out with complete Intel though to make sure I had compatibility, and had a minimum of 4Gb of memory, but then again we do the same with our Ubuntu laptops.

Illumos is fast, once it's loaded. The apps run smoother and more reliably on the whole than when running on the Ubuntu partition of the same laptop (dual boot). It's also significantly easier to set up Solaris to talk LDAP with failover servers and know that it will always keep working with LDAP.

The Ubuntu boots faster, although probably only 1/3 faster, and has many more apps compiled and available with no hassle (games mostly, but LibreOffice and Chrome are also supported), device support is better (I can use the built in SD card reader) and USB just works better, but for my general every day coding and access to our company network I use OpenIndiana.

Don't get me wrong, I like Linux, and have converted a lot of Windows users to it, and I install it on our standard users laptops, and it runs on my family's home machine ... but my work laptop runs Solaris and my boss is jealous.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                  The high cadre of linux developers, people like Andrew Morton, Greg K-H, Linus himself, Ted Ts'o, Paul E. McKenney, are also highly paid full time programmers with a basis in CS.

Comment

I found this article about which mainly talks about the history of BSD but also tells about the creator of solaris.

http://aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/20...istory-of-bsd/

Turns out BSD and Solaris are created by the same idiot.

Comment

I found this article about which mainly talks about the history of BSD but also tells about the creator of solaris.

http://aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/20...istory-of-bsd/

Turns out BSD and Solaris are created by the same idiot.

There's lots of interesting articles in this blog as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X