Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
    and it's unlikely that Canonical will change it's mind
    Normally that would be fairly certain at any competent company but it's Canonical we're talking about. They're throwing 3 years of development on Unity down the drain so there's always hope.
    Last edited by Kostas; 01 July 2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      ...and? Gnome is a DE. What was said was "there's no plans of releasing a distro with it until there's a working native DE on it" - and Fedora most likely won't release a Wayland-based release until they have a DE (ie. Gnome or KDE) that works natively on it.

Right, but that's only said by the ubuntu fanboys who swallow everything Shuttleworth ejaculates...
      sorry, I had misread that post as saying "there's no plans of releasing a distro with wayland" lol. I've been seeing so much people saying silly things like that, that I guess I just read it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47
        For the last time, this is not true. Fedora plans to have an optional wayland gnome session by fedora 20, and wayland by default for fedora 21. The plan isn't concrete and subject to change obviously, but saying "no distros plan do adopt wayland is totally false.
        Yes. A native GNOME. I didn't say there are no distros planning to ship Wayland, I'm fully aware they are. However, this distros are considering the porting to Wayland first (at least, an experimental one, but the point is it runs native), and doesn't attempt to make awful chimeras of desktops on top of X11 on top of Wayland, and that was my point.
        Read before ranting, man, I'm on your side, mostly.

EDIT: I see you already figured out we're on the same boat :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          For Mir on Wayland you'd need a somewhat stable API. Else, you'll spend all of your devs on playing catch up. And Canonical didn't make that compromise, and in fact, they said (it's mentioned on one of the developer's blog) they "don't intend reimplementations, and will make no effort to not break the API". I quote it almost textual (I already closed the tab, an I'm not positive I recalled it correctly, but I copied the meaning as stated, not "we will break because we hate you and we are evil!!!1!!ONE" nor "we are so nice we assure you we will not break, so you can reimplement all you want", but they do not intend to be helpful in that regard) to avoid misunderstandings of the kind I put between braces.
          IIRC, they intend to have a stable API with the release of Unity 8.

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
            IIRC, they intend to have a stable API with the release of Unity 8.
            Mir's developer talking, not me.
            Section "The Mir protocol?".

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
              Mir's developer talking, not me.
              Section "The Mir protocol?".

- When will MIR have a stable API/ABI?
              >

The plan is for libmirserver to have a stable API/ABI by the time we
              release Unity 8 (again, around the 13.10 timeframe).

Comment

Originally posted by etique57 View Post
                An who cares ?
                I do. Frankly it's more interesting than the whole old Mir/Wayland debate to me. After all, I haven't ever heard "Unity 6" or "Unity 5" being mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
                  LOL as usual false claims. Check your facts before you spread bs ubuntu/canonical fanbois.
                  Canonical fanboy? There's a laugh... like I said in my earlier post, I used to use Ubuntu once upon a time, but switched to Fedora several years ago.

Nevertheless, the facts are what they are - while the earliest Shell designs predate Unity, those designs *did* change over time, coming to more strongly resemble Unity. No shame in that - I think Shell turned out the better for it, based on how cluttered the activities view appears in the older design docs.

Comment

It's funny how two official sources (developers) contradict between them. That's not a point on favor of trying to maintain something targeting Mir outside of Canonical.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      I do. Frankly it's more interesting than the whole old Mir/Wayland debate to me. After all, I haven't ever heard "Unity 6" or "Unity 5" being mentioned.
                      A new unity comes out with every ubuntu release 11.10 unity 4 12.04 unity 5 12.10 unity 6 13.04 unity 7 so on. what is not clear to me is what the 11.04 first unity version number was. 3 ? or were versions 123 introduced between 11.04 and 11.10 ?

Comment

Working...
                      X