No announcement yet.

Counter-Strike: GO Might Soon Be Out On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I avoid development kernels. And NVidia's 319 driver is buggy. It spams dmesg to death with error messages. I'm on 313.30.

But I doubt it's a kernel or driver issue. To me it looks like a Source engine issue (because fps_max seems to be ignored with vsync on.)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      I avoid development kernels. And NVidia's 319 driver is buggy. It spams dmesg to death with error messages. I'm on 313.30.

But I doubt it's a kernel or driver issue. To me it looks like a Source engine issue (because fps_max seems to be ignored with vsync on.)
      I'm curious what setup (hardware + distro) you have? I've gathered that you've got an NVIDIA card obviously, but know little else. Do you have input lag in any other games? Have you tried running a non-compositing desktop just to see if it makes a difference?

I probably can't really help much but it would be useful to know to compare with other people I know running games in Linux. I do know at least one workmate who runs ubuntu w/unity and plays UT2004 in it, and I've heard him complain about tearing without v-sync or no-tearing but too much input lag...

Just as a side note - I did a little bit of experimenting in UT2004 (which is always my "go to" game to test performance and also input lag in Linux), and I just realised that with V-Sync enabled in the nvidia-settings I also get a _tiny_ bit of input lag. I wasn't sure, until I'd disabled it and re-ran the game. I then noticed it felt so much easier to steady a cursor on a target. I'm lucky though, since with my setup (GTX580M on driver 313.30 in ArchLinux w/Cinnamon) I don't seem to get any noticeable tearing when I disable V-Sync and go full screen. I'll have to test it on my PC at work with a GT240 though and see if it's the same.

Comment

It could be the traditional Xorg issue. Do you still have lag when run under its own X server? No WM, no DE, no other X clients.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          It could be the traditional Xorg issue. Do you still have lag when run under its own X server? No WM, no DE, no other X clients.
          Traditional Xorg issue? Are you referring to standard X rendering lag? e.g. Daniel Stone's presentation where they measured rtt for rendering elements in X. If so, I didn't think that would that still apply when using direct rendering?

Comment

No, I refer to X's input lag, where it can ignore the game for some ms, in favor of some other X client. This can't happen if the game is the only X client.

This has been known ever since the Q3 days, for my recent-ish meeting with it google "slow xquerypointer".

Comment

How do I run the game in this mode?

Comment

Ask your distro

Me, being the old-fashioned grumpy luddite, would do something like "startx game -- :1".

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Ask your distro

Me, being the old-fashioned grumpy luddite, would do something like "startx game -- :1".
                  Just tried that. I've shut down current X server first to be sure there's no conflicts. Then:

startx /usr/bin/steam

Sure enough, Steam came up on an otherwise totally black screen. I started CSCZ and it came up, but it doesn't work. I get a small window at the center of the screen and can't select anything with the mouse.

Edit:
                  Anyway, since there's 0 mouse lag with vsync disabled, I doubt it's the issue you're talking about, since if that were true, disabling vsync wouldn't help.
                  Last edited by RealNC; 15 April 2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
                    I'm curious what setup (hardware + distro) you have? I've gathered that you've got an NVIDIA card obviously, but know little else.
                    I'm on Gentoo ~amd64 with KDE 4.10.2. CPU is an i5 2500K, with a GTX 560 Ti GPU and 16GB RAM. Pretty typical mid-range gaming machine.

Do you have input lag in any other games?
                    Don't know if World of Goo qualifies, given that it's not an FPS, but no mouse lag in that one when moving the cursor around.

Have you tried running a non-compositing desktop just to see if it makes a difference?
                    Doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      Without vsync I get heavy tearing, which I can't stand at all.

Btw, ignore my previous info about fps_max. It turns out that the lag is the same, regardless of whether I use 59, 60, or 200. It has zero effect. I can set it to 40 or even 30 or 20, but the game still runs at 60. So I suppose that under Linux, when vsync is enabled, fps_max does absolutely nothing. At least for me.

I can't really play CS like that. For now, I'm playing under Windows, which is very sad :-(
                      If you want max_fps to work, turn off sync to Vblank in Nvidia settings and also turn off gl_vsync in game then try setting max_fps

gl_vsync 1 = capped at monitor refresh rate, gl_vsync 0 = capped at fps_max.

SEt fps_max at 60 have things improved ?
                      Last edited by DDF420; 16 April 2013, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X