Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel 4500MHD vs Mobility Radeon HD 4570

Hello,

First of all I have to say that I have been reading the phoronix articules and I find them great, This is my first time in the forum.

I want to by a new laptop, I don't have a great budget and I am seeing some dell options.

The one studio 15 seems fine, but I don't know if I should keep the intel 4500MHD or go for the Mobility Radeon HD 4570 which is a little more than 110usd more (I would prefer to spend them in battery).

I have no intention to play very new games, only some free fps like RTCW mods and some old games under wine (KOTOR, halflife2,etc).

I couldn't find meaningfull (to me) benchmarks or opinions in forums so I would like your opinion.

Thank you for any help or opinion you could provide me.

Bye.

ps-In case it is important, I will be probably running ubuntu or fedora.

If wine is a criteria for your choice neither of them are a great choice.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      If wine is a criteria for your choice neither of them are a great choice.
      ... yet.
      This may change though, if the wine devs get their act together, which you can cross your fingers for -- nvidia is no longer the *only* viable 3d in Linux

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        ... yet.
        This may change though, if the wine devs get their act together, which you can cross your fingers for -- nvidia is no longer the *only* viable 3d in Linux
        Well he is looking at purchasing it now.

"Yet" can be 3 or 4 years down the road.

Nvidia can do it "NOW" and there is no reason to believe 5 years down it would not work. BTW it's just as much as xorg developers getting their act together as it is the wine devs.

Comment

How about the geforce 9300M GS? Or does anyone has a recommendation for a laptop (in the 1K range) with a nvidia card?

Comment

I'm looking a HP with an Athlon X2 QL64 and a geforce 8200m. do you think that would give me decent fps level with low settings?

Comment

Originally posted by santiagozky View Post
              I'm looking a HP with an Athlon X2 QL64 and a geforce 8200m. do you think that would give me decent fps level with low settings?
              Should do fine.

Comment

if u consider playing such native games like Regnum Online or other almost high end games stay away from intel graphic cards. Their support for OpenGL is worse than atis or nvidias support for it.

NGD released their new game engine as stable client today. Users of Intel graphic card have a lot of troubles with it.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  ... yet.
                  What is that mysterious HW and driver that works as well as NVIDIA on Linux? I don't know of any. So, they are still the only viable solution, now and still for some time...

Comment

thanks all four your opinions. I think I'll go for the 8200, since is cheaper and Xmas will probably leave me without much money

Comment

Working...
                    X