No announcement yet.

Linux Kernel: "Drop Support For x86-32"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You be right, this is exactly what one would expect Lennart to say.

Comment

Originally posted by nej_simon View Post
      Acutally some of Intel's latest CPUs are still only 32bit (the Atom z-series). They are used in some Windows 7 tablets like the HP slate series. Microsoft probably didn't think it was time to drop support for them just yet.
      A user of such device says hi!

Yea, dropping 32-bit is just plain stupid. That said, what would be a good thing for Microsoft to do is drop WOW64 by not having it installed by default. Perhaps offer it as a download. That would be enough to motivate developers to do a proper 64-bit build.

Comment

Also, here's an enjoyment tip for readers: when reading that LKML post and the thread that Gusar linked to, don't forget to have this running in the background: http://endlessvideo.com/watch?v=1orMXD_Ijbs

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          tbh i think windows 7 should've been the last serious 32 bit release - it would help force people to move away from their P4s. as for linux, there hasn't really been a compelling reason to use 32 bit unless you are a p4 (or older) user. the only difference is linux is still pretty good with that older hardware, so ditching support for it would be annoying for such users. however, those users seem to be left in the dust in many ways anyway, mainly due to GPU support associated by the P4's (and older) generation.
          Uhhh I have an Acer Aspire One 150 with a 32bit (only) Atom processor that is only 3 years old, so it is most definitely NOT P4's or older. 32bit CPU's are still far more relevant than 64bit CPU's.

Comment

Originally posted by NoAsylum View Post
            32bit CPU's are still far more relevant than 64bit CPU's.
            I think you overrate the marketshare from the 32bit Only CPUs. And if Windows 9 drop the 32bit Only Support, your CPU doesn't die in the same moment. I bet you has 10-15 years before 32bit really die die in the Microsoft Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              It certainly has nothing to do with supporting currently existing software that all of their customers are using.
              Ancient 32-bit apps run on Windows x64 just fine in most cases, just like most ancient 32-bit apps run on Linux x86_64 just fine (assuming you install the 32-bit userland). The only things that need to be upgraded/replaced are drivers (and the odd program whose authors did something stupid).

Comment

that guy was shot down by Al Viro&co pretty much at once - and Phoronix makes a big story out of it.

Moronix?
                Bad Taste?
                Trolling for Advertisement?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  that guy was shot down by Al Viro&co pretty much at once - and Phoronix makes a big story out of it.

Moronix?
                  Bad Taste?
                  Trolling for Advertisement?
                  It came across to me (and was mentioned in the article as): "This made me laugh, it may make you laugh too.", and I thoroughly approve of people making me laugh :-)

Comment

Long live LInux 32bit

Originally posted by ciplogic View Post
                    In 2006 at the end I've had a Pentium M 1.73 Ghz (Donthan) that offered decent performance for XP, and I've upgraded for Vista. I think that using the same hardware Windows 7 would be the next logical step (to upgrade).
                    Windows 7 works on notebooks and also they are working in lower end machines (mostly on memory specs) where 64 bit brings no advantage, or if is any, please point it out.
                    Windows 8 to be 64 bit only? Why? It uses basically the same specs as Windows 7 or Vista. 32 bit brings in itself some advantages, including that if you target a software package for a 32 bit Windows, you know that it will work with XP. And if you think that most XP users are owners of 32 bit machines, and some of Win7 users are on 32 bit machine too, I see no reason why Microsoft would not want to not support such of a wide user base.
                    At the end I'm thinking that Linux should follow the same path, and not only for tablets: running on more platforms means that they can enjoy the beauty of Linux. Remember Ubuntu PowerPC? Many Mac users were exposed to it: if you don't want to upgrade your Mac every time with 130 dollars (as it was at the time), you will get a newer Unix like experience for just writing it on a CD.
                    At the end, Linux is used a lot in schools, I know they use it in Spain. Why not allow users to upgrade their beloved OS with the newest Ubuntu, Suse or Fedora?
                    I reformat almost every XP system I get, I install Linux, and use the box as a file server, or as a firewall. Thirty-two bit systems also help me to test code that I write. In developing countries, many 386 and 486 boxes get recycled as donations to schools with Linux installed. Should this stop? As the original post author wrote, Schools still make use of this 32bit hardware with Linux installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                      This doom and gloom of "being left in the dust" and "being forced to upgrade" is just plain ridiculous. It might be true for a few distros, but you're not being forced to use them, there's plenty of other choices, and by that I don't just mean LTS distros like CentOS.
                      Well, I am putting CentOS on a system equipped with a P4 right now, but it was primarily for other reasons.

Regardless, most of my hardware is still better off using 32 bit ATM, so I am definitely glad this guy was shot down.

Comment

Working...
                      X