Skype 4.0 For Linux Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    well this not a native executable but a wine "optimized" .exe from windows. 32 or 64 you need multiarch support cuz is a 32bits .exe inside
    "file skype" says "skype: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, BuildID[sha1]=0x3223447b98867e62fbed258aa0da4f2281ab6f11, stripped" though, and it has no other libraries etc. included.

Comment

Yeah I can't find wine references. Not sure where he got that from.

Comment

Not a Wine Wrapper

Somebody said that this is just a wine wrapper around the Windows Skype client but that is not true at all. As was posted above, the binary is a native 32-bit ELF executable. An ldd call shows:

ldd ./skype
        linux-gate.so.1 => (0xb76e1000)
        libasound.so.2 => not found
        libXv.so.1 => not found
        libXss.so.1 => not found
        librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xb76ca000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb76c4000)
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb758e000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb757c000)
        libQtDBus.so.4 => not found
        libQtXml.so.4 => not found
        libQtGui.so.4 => not found
        libQtNetwork.so.4 => not found
        libQtCore.so.4 => not found
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7560000)
        libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb7477000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb744a000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb742d000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb728c000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb76e2000)
        libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0xb726e000)
        libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb726b000)
        libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb7265000)

As you can see, not only is this not a Wine wrapper, the Skype client is actually linking to the Qt libraries so there definitely is some Linux-specific code going on for at least the UI.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Yeah I can't find wine references. Not sure where he got that from.
          when i checked my process list i saw a wine process and since was a clean boot i only had skype4 open. seen that ldd log seems im wrong.

dunno maybe i got some hanging wine process from other stuff and relate it too the skype

Comment

People still use wine?

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
              People still use wine?
              I use wine (crossover to be specific) every day at work to run MS Office 2003. If I could, I would immediately switch to LibreOffice, but LibreOffice is still not able to handle MS Office documents properly. Most macros do not work and even the layout of normal day to day documents is messed up. LibreOffice still has a long way to go until it can be used as an MS Office replacement in daily business work.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
                Thanks for the heads up, I'll stick with the old version.

I prefer an ad-free native binary over a half-assed emulated one, which is probably full of ads. Somehow I already expected MS only being able to write Windows software.
                They are not using wine. They are using a 32bit executable that uses the i386 compat libs.

Comment

Originally posted by who_me View Post
                  They are not using wine. They are using a 32bit executable that uses the i386 compat libs.
                  Ok thanks, good to know. Does the new version have ads?

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    well this not a native executable but a wine "optimized" .exe from windows. 32 or 64 you need multiarch support cuz is a 32bits .exe inside
                    Skype for Linux is and was always a native Linux-application.

Comment

Download Mumble for free. Low-latency, high quality voice chat for gamers. Mumble is an open source, low-latency, high quality voice chat software primarily intended for use while gaming. It includes game linking, so voice from other players comes from the direction of their characters, and has echo cancellation so the sound from your loudspeakers won't be audible to other players.

This would be why there's no significant work on a replacement for Skype or reverse engineering Skype.

Replacements already exist.

There is no REASON to work on yet another replacement or to reverse engineer Skype. Better software is already available. Right now. Much of it already under Open Source Licenses.

Comment

Working...
                      X