Ubuntu 10.04 Hit By Major Bug; ISOs Now Being Re-Spun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah

Broken as usually. *buntu is ugly junkyard full of messed-up debian packages. I can not understand, why technically scoped media like phoronix, still support this piece of shit. There are dozens of more user friendly distros, there are dozens of more proffesional distros, there are dozens of more bleeding edge distros. Buntu is just a marketing hype.

Comment

Just remaster all of the ISOs. If they have to release May 1st, so what. They can still call it 10.04 LTS if they want to.

Of course, I can't even get the release candidate to boot live on my HTPC. I got a new HD and planned to do a clean install (dual boot, since I need Windows for the occasional bluray disc.) No matter what boot options I select, I get a kernel panic. It was late at night though, I probably missed something simple.

Comment

Admittedly, they made some strategically wrong decisions in this cycle, but it's the product of something Shuttleworth cared to notice some time ago: in such a diverse world, it's hard to coordinate stuff. That's why quando paratus est works for Debian, but if you want to make business and commit yourself to schedules people can then rely on, it's something different.

That's why Shuttleworth wanted to coordinate this LTS with Debian, and possibly other distributions too. I don't find it -such- a woeful idea.

Anyway, I don't get why all the Ubuntu bashers gather now to diss the distro. It's not as if they're releasing broken software, they're actually trying to -fix- the problem.

Comment

It's released now, count the time until the servers are going down (there's an official torrent though).

They might have done some mistakes with this release cycle, but really, this is an amazing release still and probably one of the most polished Linux distribution releases ever, so don't act as it's completely broken.

Comment

Ubuntu is a nice distro for gnome users who can not afford a mac. The buttons are similar and even the girly background looks like os x. Kubuntu on the other side is a good example of a not polished variant - this begins with the installer already... The kernel is a good base for tuned variants, i prefer ck (before bfs only) patches and some other little changes, but basically the hardware support it is interesting. The kernel has got all major backports, just the dvb mantis driver is missing which you can find in .33+.

Comment

I guess they're being a little too aggressive with cleaning out the virus (wondoze) that it covers up non-viruses as well (other linux).

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
                Anyway, I don't get why all the Ubuntu bashers gather now to diss the distro. It's not as if they're releasing broken software, they're actually trying to -fix- the problem.
                From what I read it seems that quite a lot of the agro comes from the fact that Ubuntu isn't the distro they're currently using so the more it succeeds, the less relevant their chosen distro becomes. Then their next move usually isn't to change to Ubuntu and try to fix it, but to try to attack it instead so that their favorite distro may live on .

Regardless of whether it's someone's distro of choice or not it's unfortunately way too common at the moment for the haters to wish harm on Ubuntu instead of mucking in and fixing any perceived problems it may have. If there was a perfect distro I'd be in the "lets all move to that distro" camp but as there isn't, and Ubuntu has the best trajectory IMHO at the moment (and this is extremely likely to remain so), I think it's the best shot for success with regards to getting Linux on the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Kubuntu on the other side is a good example of a not polished variant - this begins with the installer already...
                  And this is probably no longer the case (except the installer). They fixed some annoying bugs in Amarok and there's a nice Firefox integration, there are even better translations (!). Probably for the first time in history, Kubuntu's KDE is better then KDE in Arch Linux. It just rocks!

@Bash

It doesn't seem to affect all systems.
                  That's true and this means I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by next9 View Post
                    Broken as usually. *buntu is ugly junkyard full of messed-up debian packages. I can not understand, why technically scoped media like phoronix, still support this piece of shit. There are dozens of more user friendly distros, there are dozens of more proffesional distros, there are dozens of more bleeding edge distros. Buntu is just a marketing hype.
                    It has been a 'hype' for almost 6 years now.

Ubuntu

Will the 'hype' fade? We'll have to wait and see. In the meantime:

Gentoo

If you want more coverage of your favorite distro, I suggest you try to make it more attractive for a wider audience.

Comment

Is there a place to get the re-spin iso ? Actually im downloading one from the official torrent but when I heard that bug I stopped the download and looking for the re-spin one ?

Comment

Working...
                      X